Chapter Seventeen ~ Changeling

Start from the beginning

Her mother paused, catching her breath, furiously wiping tears away with the back of her hand. She took a moment to compose herself before she turned back to Enid, her hands on her waist, her head held high.

"You are not to see that Fae again-" Her mother's voice was alarmingly calm.

"Mother! -" Enid protested only to be once more cut short.

"-I forbid it. I mean it, Enid, you are never to see him again, nor are you to go wandering in that forest alone."

"But-"

"Now go and help your grandmother get ready for bed, I am sure she will be very shocked to see you."

Tears slipped down Enid's cheeks silently, as she stood motionless, helplessly looking at her mother.

"Mama, please-" Enid said softly, her voice hushed and quiet. "-I love him."

Her mother drew in a shaky breath, her composure almost crumbling as she forced herself to meet her daughter's gaze. It was with great strength that she did not give in and instead gestured with her hand to the stairs behind her.

"Go and see to your Grandmother, please."

Enid moved swiftly past her up the stairs, pausing at the door to her Grandmother's bedroom as she looked back over her shoulder to her mother, who only now with Enid gone from her sight, fell to her knees and wept openly.

Opening the door, Enid stepped into the room. It was sparsely lit, with only a single candle, and the burning embers of the fire to light it.

Enid's attention fell to the wooden bowl of warm water and the flannel beside it on the bedside table.

Taking it into her hands, she slowly put edged forwards to where her Grandmother was sat beside the dying fire.

Hearing Enid's footsteps, her head turned to the dark expanse of the room behind her.

"Ygritte, is that you?"

Enid stilled and swallowed hard, her grip on the wooden bowl tightening.

"No." Was all she could bear to say, watching as her Grandmother suddenly turned in her chair to face her.

"Enid?!-" She paled, frowning as her eyes passed over her face. "-No, it cannot be, you were taken by the Fae!"

Startled and confused, she placed her hands on the chair's armrests, attempting to stand up and go to her.

Enid quickly crossed the room and guided her back into her seat.

"It cannot be my little granddaughter." She shook her head fervently, seemingly more afraid of Enid than relieved to see her return.

This, after all, was a woman who had grown up with Fae kidnappings occurring weekly, losing her own siblings to the Fae, never to see them again.

"No, no, you are not Enid. Enid used to speak more, she used to laugh, she would not stand here before me now so silent!"

"It is me, Grandmother." Enid tearfully replied.

"No. No.-" She turned to the door and began to call for her daughter.

"Ygritte! Ygritte!"

When her daughter made no appearance, Enid's Grandmother froze, slowly swivelling in her seat to face the fire, nervously smoothing down her gown.

"You've taken my brothers and sisters from me, and now my granddaughter as well.-" She looked up at Enid, tears shining in her eyes, as Enid stood shocked. "-How you taunt me foul beast!"

"Grandmother-"

Abruptly, she reached out, clutching to Enid's hair and lifting it to reveal her ears, and pulling at her lips to check for pointed teeth, mumbling to herself as she did so.

"No pointy ears, no sharp teeth..." She stopped, leaning back to fully look at Enid.

"What kind of changeling are you? Normally they show signs of being a Fae, for they cannot hide their true form even when in disguise!"

"I am no changeling-" Enid kneeled before her, gently taking her Grandmother's cold hands into hers. "-I am Enid, your Granddaughter."

Her Grandmother's eyes bored into hers, searching for proof of Enid's guilt that she would not find. Slowly, she smiled, though it did not reach her eyes.

"Oh, how silly of me, my dear." She reached up to run her thumb along Enid's cheek. "Never mind what I said. Now, won't you help me ready for bed?"

Enid paused, sensing the lie in her grandmother's words. Quickly, she hid her fears and forced a smile and nodded.

"Yes, of course." Enid picked herself up, going to stand before the wooden bowl, dunking the cloth into the warm water. With her back to her grandmother, she only heard shuffling footsteps and the opening of a drawer echo throughout the room.

"Enid?"

"Yes, Grandmother?" Pulling the cloth from the water, Enid began to ring it out, the water trickling back into the bowl.

"Do you remember how I used to warn you about the dangers of the Fae when you were a child? How I taught you ways to protect yourself?"

"Yes...I do." Enid glanced over her shoulder, the blurred form of her grandmother stood by her bed appearing in the corner of her eye.

"And do you also remember what I told you about the effects of Iron on Faes?" She continued, while Enid walked towards her with the damp cloth in hand, guiding her to sit on the bed, as with gentle hands she dabbed the cloth along her forehead and cheeks.

"Should Iron ever touch the fair skin of a Fae, it will burn them" Enid recited her grandmothers words back to her, focusing on helping her to undress and change into her nightgown.

"I'm sorry that it should have to be this way." Her grandmother spoke slowly, causing Enid to stop and look at her. A flash of firelight reflected off of an Iron dagger clutched tightly in her hand.

"What? What do you mean?" Enid paled, her eyes drawn to the dagger.

Suddenly she lurched forward, brandishing the Iron dagger high in the air, aiming for Enid's heart.