Mr. Saltzman raises his hands in defense. “There’s no need to be cocky, I still need to grade it to get you back on track.”

I smirk again. “Like I care if I pass or not, I only finished the paper to humour you.”

The bell rang for first period to begin and the rest of the students come pouring into the classroom. Alaric gave me a cold and calculating look before he points to my desk.

“Go have a seat, Miss Mikaelson.”

I return his cold look and head towards my seat. Who did this guy think he was? He was lucky we were in a public place; otherwise I would have completely torn out his throat.

For the next hour, Mr. Saltzman drones on about some boring history of Mystic Falls, basically stuff I could care less about. He was beginning to remind me a little of Mr. Tanner who I totally despised because he was so dreadfully awful, patronizing and annoying.

Finally, the bell rings signalling the end of first period and I grab my books, ready to leave class.

“Alayne, could I please speak to you for a minute?” Mr. Saltzman calls out to me.

I roll my eyes at Elena and Stefan before throwing down my books and sitting back down in my seat. They both give me sympathetic looks before leaving. The class clears out quickly and Alaric closes the door behind my classmates before he turns to me. His usual nice and easygoing face is gone and he is glaring at me now.

“How many more of you are there?”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me. How many more vampires are there?”

I choke on my spit. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

He stalks up to me, suddenly holding a stake in my face. “Want to think again?”

I fake a scared expression. “Mr. Saltzman, what are you doing?!”

“Drop the act, I know what you are.”

I drop the act and smirk at him. “How?”

“The attitude,” growls Alaric. “It gives you away completely.”

“Okay so now that you know, what are you doing to do?”

“Kill you.”

Alaric makes the move to stake me through the heart but I’m faster than he is so I managed to dodge his strike. I danced out of the way and he lunges at me again.

“Why can’t we just get along?” I smirk at him. “Why are you a hunter?”

“One of you killed my wife,” he growls. “I’ll kill all of you.”

He strikes at me again but this time, I let him get close enough. I grab his arm holding the stake and twist it backwards, not enough to break his fragile human bones but enough so that it causes some pain. Alaric gasps in shock and drops the stake but his foot strikes out and connects with my stomach. The impact didn’t hurt but it was annoying. I grab both his wrists and pin his arms behind his back, forcing him into a kneeling position. He glares up at me and I kneel down to face him.

“First of all, I don’t kill people,” I spat. “I was living my life perfectly before you tried to come in here and kill me. Secondly, drop all this nonsense about finding the vamp that killed your wife. How do you even know it’s in Mystic Falls?”

“I tracked it here.”

I sigh. “You’re really going to get yourself killed. Most vampires don’t have the same restraint and control like I have, don’t forget that. Now if you don’t mind, can we just pretend like this never happened and just live our separate lives? I can guarantee you; I do not kill for food.”