Interview with Cailin_Briste

Real Name/Pen Name?

B. Cunningham

How long have you been writing?

Believe it or not, I've been writing since I was in Kindergarten or early elementary school. Obviously, at that time, it wasn't anything serious, but my mom found printer paper with stories of mine. They looked a bit like comics or children's story, but they were very morbid. Everyone died in them.

What made you want to be a writer?

  I don't think anything really made me want to write. I mean, sure, I've read a bunch of books since I was really young, and they made me think "I could do that." But, I think it was more of the fact that I felt like I had something - a story - that needed to be told. I still haven't gotten it out yet though.

Favorite book? On or off Wattpad, or both.

  Lately, I haven't been able to read much of anything on or off the net, and it's making me anxious. There is so much out there yet and I haven't the time for any of it. I guess my favorite book is Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby. The rest of her books are pretty spectacular as well though.

How did you discover Wattpad?

  At first, I was an active member on Quizilla. But, after all of its updates and changes, I was slightly turned off, and the other users didn't seem serious enough. I googled writing sites (believe it or not) and found Wattpad. I was just a reader in the beginning, but I read some of the comments and thought that they sounded honest and were helpful criticism. So, I made an accound and Ta-da!

What do you do outside of Wattpad? Hobbies?

  At the moment, I'm a full-time student, and a part-time cashier. I'm studying social work and psychology. I also enjoy sitting around and watching Netflix. Right now I'm on the third season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and she's kicking ass. BANG! POW!

Where do you draw your inspirations from when writing? Favorite authors, music, film etc.

  My inspiration changes depending on the type of scene I'm writing. I mostly listen to music on my Pandora station. I'll play my Yiruma station when I don't want words clogging up my brain, or my Boys Like Girls station if I need a little more noise. If those things don't work, I go to goodreads.com and read random quotes.

Who encourages you to write?

  My younger sister and best friend are always telling me that I need to make time for writing, and to finish my stories. But, the only person that really matters is myself. I can't bring myself to write unless I feel like I can. I know that's probably not a good way to think of things, but it's how I do it.

How do you think writing impacts your life?

  It definitely helps to calm me down. It keeps my thoughts from drifting, ya know? It also takes time away from the real world. Which, can be good and bad. It helps me to escape from reality and all that jazz.

How many stories do you have?

  I have 5 stories here on Wattpad. One of them is complete. haha.... On my laptop though, I have dozens of incomplete thoughts and stories. I have so many started that it's almost pathetic.

List your stories:

  Brandon

Teenage Dream

Ocean of Secrets

Sensations

Internal Mechanisms

What do you want readers to know about your stories or writing style?

  Know this: I love happy endings, but I might throw in a loop every now and then. Just because I want everything to be happy-go-lucky doesn't mean that's going to be how my story gets written. I also take a lot of ideas from my readers. That probably sounds like cheating, but if someone gives me a bone, then I might use it. Especially if I'm in a state of writer's block. So, keep an eye out for your thoughts.

What do you write about most?

  I write about love and romance a little too much, because I'm hopeless. I believe in the soulmate theory, but I also don't think I'll ever meet mine. So, I live through the lives of my characters, and the lovey-dovey might come across as a little over kill.

How do you pick your character names?

  Most of the time, the name is the last thing I decide. I write down all the character's details and characteristics and what they look like and use those. Names have meanings, and I take a character's strongest quality or a certain physical characteristic and find a name that matches it. The weird thing is that other times, a name just comes to me. I'll be writing a scene and a name will just appear in my head. And I'll just feel that it's right.

What's your favorite genre to write? To read?

  My favorite genre to write is romance, and sometimes I'll add in a little fantasy. I read pretty much everything, on the other hand. I can read horror, or a classic, or romance. I find myself mostly reading young adult fiction though. With romance, of course.

What do you do to get over writer's block?

  If I'm really in the mood to write, then I'll try anything to get over writer's block. I'll read quotes, listen to music, read books, or even look through pictures on tumblr to get inspiration. When it's really bad though, I take a break. I don't write and I don't think about writing. When I come back to it, I'm ready to write again.

What is your favorite thing about Wattpad?

  Honestly, I love the other writers. You're all so smart, and give great advice to anyone searching for it. Everyone is so accepting and for the most part, we all get along very well. That probably sounds really cheesy, but it's the truth.

What is the nicest comment you've ever received?

  There are way too many to mention just one. Everyone is so nice and give beautifully written compliments.

The Hunger Games or Divergent? Why?

  This is so hard to answer, but my first thought was Divergent. I did love reading the Hunger Games, but Katniss never changed. Tris on the other hand, was a well-rounded character and I felt way more emotionally involved in the Divergent trilogy.

Any advice for other writers out there?

  Don't write for other people. Just for yourself.