Chapter 19

"Zayn come on, we were supposed to be out there two minutes ago." Liam stressed, two seconds from chucking Zayn's phone against the wall because they've managed to get behind schedule and Liam takes the delay personally since he's normally the most organized and keeps the other two lads on schedule.

"No, Luca should be home from school and he's supposed to call me." He looked up at him with a seemingly desperate expression. "It's his first day of preschool, just stall everyone another five minutes."

Liam huffed, having an internal battle but knew how much Zayn's been looking forward to hearing how Luca's day had went. "Alright, yeah. I can get Niall to say his knee is acting up so that should give you fifteen minutes at most."

"Thanks, I'll try to be quick." He murmured as he sat starting at the phone in his hands, waiting for the darkened screen to light up with the usual photo of Luca that appears once Harry calls.

As soon as it started buzzing, Zayn answered the phone without hesitation. "Hello?"

"Hi papa, you okay?" Luca little voice question, happy to be talking with Zayn since he hasn't heard from him all day.

Zayn smiled, holding the phone close. "I'm alright babe, how are you? Did your first day go okay, you like your preschool?"

"Good, daddy 'n me is good." He mumbled his words, clearly avoiding or ignoring the second half of Zayn's question.

"Luca how was preschool? I got the picture of you in your new uniform this morning, you looked very smart with your bow tie." Judging by Luca's silence, Zayn knew something had obviously gone wrong today and Luca just didn't want to say anything about whatever incident happened.

"Papa big kids are mean." He pouted, "They want be my friend but to see you, papa. I no have friends there and I sad."

"Babe, I'm sorry." Zayn was quite sure how to handle this because Luca was going to have to deal with this the rest of his life and there honestly isn't much Zayn or Harry can do to shield Luca from it other than homeschooling him but they want him to be social and not hinder him in any way. "I bet after a couple days, you'll make some friends in your class and it'll be okay. Does daddy know about what happened today?"

"Mhm," he hummed. "Daddy got mad at say mean things to school lady."

"Do you think I could talk to him for a second?"

There was some brief shuffling of the phone before Zayn heard Harry's voice, "I handled what happened at his school today. They're keeping a closer eye on him until everyone's adjusted."

"I'll fly back there and talk with the headmaster if I have to, Luca is there because he's smart like all the other kids who got in. Nobody needs to be fake befriending him or teasing him to get to me because it's not going to work." Zayn was slightly heated but that was to be expected when you hear that your four year old is being picked on and it's only the first day.

"Zayn it's fine, I talked with the headmaster already and it's been taken care of. I was just as mad as you are about it but I trust that this will be the last incident." He assured, staying completely calm since Luca was in the room and listening to their conversation.

Zayn pushed a hand through his styled hair, irritated by not being able to do anything. "I just don't like my son being teased, he's a good boy and I want him to be happy."

"I know Zayn, I want the same thing but there's only so much we can do." Harry paused a second, murmuring words away from the phone. "Here, Luca wants to talk with you some more."