The Friendship

Draco opened the door of the bathroom. It was a morning, and they had breakfast in half an hour. He saw Hermione was still asleep on the bed. He guessed that she was tired, but he also guessed that she'd want to wake up for classes.

So Draco went over and tapped her lightly. "Granger," He said. Hermione didn't budge. "Granger. Granger!" He clapped his hands and she didn't even move. Draco thought for a few seconds then smirked. "We're an hour late for class."

Hermione jolted upwards at an alarmingly fast rate, and hit her head off Draco's. They both fell back, rubbing their foreheads.

"Ow." Draco hissed through his teeth, rubbing his head gingerly. "Watch it, Granger, you nearly broke my skull with your thick head."

Hermione cast a Tempus charm and glared at Draco, stifling a yawn. "We are so not late, Malfoy." She rubbed her head. "And you almost broke my skull, not the other way around."

"So?" Draco stood up, smirking. "It got you up, didn't it?"

"Hmph. I'm going to get changed." Hermione rolled her eyes. "Are you leaving?"

"Yes, yes, give me a second to walk out the door will you, Granger?" Draco rolled his eyes. He headed to the door. He put his hand on the door knob when Hermione spoke.

"Wait, could you, uh, wait for me, please? In the common room, I mean?" Hermione stuttered.

Draco blinked at her for a second or two then slowly nodded. "Why?"

"I was thinking, last night, that we should make the effort to at least get to a friendship, if we're going to have to have a relationship," Hermione replied quickly, and headed to the bathroom door. "So, will you wait for me, Malfoy? Or have your manners left you?"

Draco rolled his eyes and smirked at Hermione. "Fine, but you better not take ages." Draco walked out of their bedroom. "And tame that bush on top of your head, Granger."

"Prick." She called after him. Hermione slammed the door to the bathroom shut and leaned against it. Her cheeks started to heat up. "Stop it, Hermione. You are Hermione Granger, and he is Draco Malfoy. You cannot have a crush on Malfoy, even if he is hot and he's so much nicer this year..." Hermione tried to tell herself out loud. "Stop it, Hermione! Just have your shower and get changed. He's waiting."

Hermione got in the shower. She felt herself slowly developing a crush on Malfoy, and she didn't know where on earth it was coming from. He'd been nice to her for a train ride, and he'd apologised and healed her hand, then he even slept in the common room and let her have the bed. But even so, that doesn't mean you can have a crush on your ex-enemy, right? Especially in one day.

It had only been a day, and Hermione concluded it was because he had been so nice to her yesterday and hadn't been rude to her at all yet, and he was cute.

She got out the shower and started to get dressed.

*

Draco was sitting in the common room, reading Romeo and Juliet. He hadn't finished it yet, since he was distracted on the train ride. Hermione wasn't out yet, so he was waiting for her. Why he agreed, he did not know. Whatever it was, he was too tired to figure it out.

Draco yawned and flicked his page. The door to Ron and Pansy's room was flung open. Draco looked up from his book when he heard the yelling.

"Well, I'm sorry if someone has to do their hair in the morning and needs to use the bathroom too!" Pansy yelled, stormed out of their room and collapsed on the couch opposite Draco.

"That doesn't mean you can take forty-five bleeding minutes!" Ron yelled back.

"What's going on?" Draco asked Pansy.