Detention

There was two potions classrooms because Professor McGonagall had hired twin teachers, Professor Emily and Professor Erick Sutherland. They both had black hair, grey eyes and they were extremely charming. They also preferred to be called by their first names, as not to confuse others when talking about them. Unlike Lockheart, they were actually good at their jobs. Rumours went around school that they were at least part veela.

"Hello, Mr Weasley," Professor Emily smiled at Ron. "The ingredient cupboard is over there, you know where the bin is. I have to go to a meeting, so I'm going to leave once you start. Remember not to open anything sealed. And that you can't use magic. Good luck." She purred in her soft melodic voice. Ron blushed and stumbled clumsily over to the cupboard. She gracefully left the room.

Meanwhile, in the other classroom, Professor Erick had a rather large stack of books piled upon several tables. Draco and Hermione stared at it.

"These are the books I'd like you to re-shelve for me, in order of difficulty. Beginner on the bottom shelf, advanced nearer the top, you get the jist." Professor Erick smiled at the soon-to-be couple. "I assume that this job doesn't take much explaining, and you're probably eager to get on with it and hopefully get your dinner, right?"

"Right, Professor." Hermione nodded.

"Splendid. I'll leave you two to begin then, I have a meeting. Have fun, students." He waved goodbye to them and left the classroom. "And remember, no magic!"

Draco stared at the mountain of books. "That's an awful lot of books." He ran a hand through his hair.

"Yes, all the more reason to get started, now help me take take the books off the top of this mountain." Hermione rolled her eyes.

Draco and Hermione grabbed a small pile of ten or so beginner Potions textbooks and started to shelve them. They did it in silence.

Draco watched Hermione while he stacked books. Over the last week, they'd gotten close. Oddly close. As in, almost-more-than-friends close. He'd started to call her Hermione sometimes, and she hadn't objected. And so far, he hadn't objected to her calling him Draco. He rather liked it. Shs was funny, cute and sarcastic. She also had the same sharp tongue and quick wit he had.

Draco had admitted it to himself last night, when he was trying to sleep on the bedroom floor, which was not comfy. Draco had a crush on Hermione Granger. And he didn't know where it had came from, or how, but he did.

He noticed that when Hermione was concentrating, she'd frown or twist a strand of her hair. It was cute. She was doing it there, twisting strands of her bushy hair.

She started humming a tune to herself, a simple song that Draco recognised. A Muggle nursery rhyme; Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She hummed for a few minutes while stacking the shelves, until Draco chuckled a little.

"What?" She turned to him curiously.

"Nothing. You were humming a Muggle nursery rhyme," Draco shrugged. "You were cute."

"I was not cute," Hermione struggled to hide her blush. "Just keep stacking those shelves, Ferret."

"Ouch, thought we were past all the name calling?" Draco whined playfully, placing a book on the shelf.

"Only when I feel like it, Draco." She smiled at him. "And how did you know what I was humming?"

"Oh, I lived with some muggles until school started, quite nice people actually." Draco shrugged, smiling a little.

Hermione stared at him incredulously. "You, the Draco Malfoy, notorious for being against muggles for six school years, stayed with muggles?" Hermione knew the war had changed us all, but really? Draco, staying with muggles?