Chapter Seventeen

Ryder's P.O.V:
{FLASHBACK}
"Mason, I called your mom. She should be on her way." I hear mom say, making me and my bestfriend Mason quickly shoot up. "She said she'd be here in under an hour." Mom adds

"You did what?" I say quickly. 

"Called Andriana." Mom states.

"His mom's a drugged up alcoholic." I say as I sit up. "His stepdad will fuck him up-" I add and get cut off.

"Watch your language." Mom points at me.

"You told Mason's mom where he is...And you're worried about me cursing?" I say. The nurse looks between us awkwardly before she carries on with the stitches on my arm. 

"Ry, I gotta go." Mason gets up from the end of my hospital bed. 

"Mase...Man, hold up. We won't let them in-" I start and get cut off.

"Tell Iris...I'll see her around." Mason claps hands with me before he walks off. Once the doors closed, I close my eyes and let my back hit the hard hospital mattress. 

"I didn't know about Mason's family." Mom states. "I'm sorry." She adds.

"Do you not get tired of apologizing all the time?" I ask. "I mean, you fuck up every other day and all you can say is fucking sorry like that's going to fix anything." I add.

It goes quiet in the room when uncle Nick walks in. I let out a sigh as I lay back down on the bed and gesture for the nurse to carry on with the stitches. Uncle Nick mumbles something to mom, making her quickly turn to face him. 

"All done. I'll be back in a few minutes, Ryder." The nurse says as she walks off with her equipment. Once the door is closed, I turn to face the pair.

"Was it ever real?" I ask. "This whole me...And Iris being your kids. Were we just props to this contract?" I add.

"Of course not." Mom tuts, I shake my head at her and look away.

"Is that why dad's not coming back? Cause we were just a bunch of props?" I say, making Nick shake his head as he sits down. 

"No, he's not coming back because he...Well because he can't, alright?" Nick sighs. 

"What did you hear?" Mom asks. I shrug as I lean back and with my good  hand I take out a cigarette from my pocket. Nick opens his mouth to stop me but mom stops him. They can't say anything, espically now that I know the truth. I shake my head as I keep a cigarette between my lips and light it up. 

"Leroy said that...Iris was just part of a contract you signed...And now that the contract was over, she had to return the prop." I state. "Prop." I repeat and scoff. 

"I signed a contract a long time ago, Ryder." Mom states. "A contact that would help me with my career." I add.

"Tes-" Uncle Nick starts but gets cut off.

"Iris was a prop but I...I felt like I had finally something to live for when I got to know her. I felt like this whole time I was made to look after her." Mom talks over her bestfriend as she takes a seat next to me. "She actually felt like a real daughter and after losing a baby when I was just a teenager....I didn't realise how much I wanted to be a mother." She smiles.