New surroundings, sort of

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yeah, what's it to you, old man?" Kaiden yelled back.

"I'll see, old man, you," Nixon said as he walked into the back as we all stood there. He stopped in his tracks when he saw me.

"I think I'm just going to go," I said as I walked by them. I didn't want to stick around after the last encounter I had with Nixon.

As I walked out of the bakery, I heard someone yell, "Lex!"

I stopped and turned to see Nixon running towards me. Great, now what?

"Look, I'm sorry about the other day," he said sincerely.

I furrowed my brows.

"I know I can appear an abrasive, but honestly, I didn't mean what I said," he added.

"It's just hard. I wish I could remember everyone, but I can't, and no one gets that. Do you have any idea what it's like to wake up and not recognize your family or people who claimed to be your family?" I asked him.

"No, I don't. But I know how it felt, seeing you lay there. How all of us came to see you and prayed, you would wake up. To hear your dad get a phone call, that scared the hell out of him. To watch him run towards a mangled car. Only to see if his boy was alive," he said truthfully.

I stood there, confused.

"I was in an accident?" I asked.

"Shit," Nixon mumbled.

"That's why I can't remember?" I asked with furrowed brows.

"Yes," he whispered.

I felt like everything crashed down on me. I didn't know about the accident. No one told me. No one didn't tell me much. Why?

Nash came out to me with the others following him.

"Lex?" Nash said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"Tell you what?" He asked.

"That I was in an accident!" I barked. I was furious.

He looked at me as the others looked away.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I yelled.

"Because you would have reacted this way. Lex, it's not something that you drop on something right after they wake up from a coma. Yes, we didn't tell you. Yes, you were in a car accident. While you're dealing with memory loss, we were dealing with the fact we might lose you," he said as his voice cracked.

I stared at him with my mouth slightly agape.

"Getting that phone call was the worse moment of our lives. It felt like our world collapsed," Nash said as he started to cry.

I watched as the man who's my dad broke down in front of me. What I did next, surprise everyone. I hugged him. He needed that hug. At that moment, when he hugged me back, I cried. A warmth spread over me with a feeling I had been lacking, love, unconditional love.

"Lex?" He looked at me as I tried to get my composure.

"I feel this love. I can't explain it. When Maggie hugged me, it was the same way. Is this what it feels like?" I asked sniffling.

"What is?" He asked with a look on his face, one that said hope.

"Love." I looked at him with tears.

"Oh God, yes," he said as he grabbed me and hugged me tighter. "That's what it feels like for you and us."

I laid my head on his shoulder. I liked this feeling. For once, I felt like I belonged somewhere.

After I finally got my composure, I wiped my eyes.

"Sorry," I apologized. I felt so overwhelmed by my emotions. Ever since the hospital released me, I felt lost and felt like I didn't belong anywhere. To not know who you are or anyone else was frightening.

"Maybe it's time to go home," he suggested as I nodded. It had been an emotional day. I nodded in agreement.

We walked back to the car and went home. Once we got home, I went straight to my room. I needed to lie down.

"Nash?" Maggie walked over to him.

He looked at her. "Mags, he might not remember us, but his heart does."

Her eyes widened when he said that and she started to cry. He wrapped his arms around her. "Baby girl, one way or another, we'll get our boy back."

She nodded as she buried her head into him as she held him tighter. The thing about Maggie and Nash, they had hope. I hope that one day I would come back to them. I may not come back to them in the way they expected, but I was coming back. It was just going to take time.