chapter 11

YEARS EARLIER

When Dad died, this happened some weeks after we moved to Basylon. I can never forget that day; it was like a nightmare that still haunts me.

I wasn’t at home when it happened. I went camping with my friend Ella and her parents.   Ella was the first friend I made when we moved. But now Ella is dead- her dead body was found in a dumpster.

That day I came back earlier than I was supposed to, I was told to come back Tuesday, but I came back on Monday. I left early in the morning, wanting to surprise dad. I brought him some of the honey we got while camping, and when I arrived I was greeted by the cops.

        I saw them taking something outside. It looked like a head in a plastic bag and a headless body on a stretcher.

When I looked at the head closely it looked like dad, but it was smashed, making it unidentifiable.

I ran inside shouting dad's name only to get no answer.   Then I noticed mom crying, covered in blood.

I ran towards her and asked,  

“Mom,  where is Dad?”

She didn’t answer.”

“Mom, please tell me where dad is!”

Then she shouted, “your father is dead.” 

“Mom, please tell me you’re lying. You're joking,right?”

She only shook her head indicating she wasn’t lying.

I fell on the floor as tears rolled down my cheeks.  

How can dad die, he promised he would wait for me. How could he leave me? He broke his promise.   I didn’t talk to anyone for over two weeks, I was too shattered.

            I never asked mom what actually happened, I didn’t even want to know.

As days passed, I missed dad more, but I knew Dad wouldn’t be happy to see me miserable. He always said, “Don’t let your strength be your weakness.”

Dad was my strength, my everything, and I won’t let him be my weakness.