"Are you alright?" he asked the girl. 

"P-please, sir," she whispered, her bottom lip trembling. "May I ask for a bit of water and bread? My m-mother is very sick."

Alexander heard the coachman calling out his name. "Your Highness, we have to go back to the castle. Your princess--"

He cut him off with a wave of his hand. He knew very well that Annabelle was waiting for him, but he could not just leave the poor girl with no food. Maybe it was his new found fatherly instinct, but he felt a wave of sadness when he saw her like that. He went back to the carriage and grabbed all the food the maids had stored inside it. 

The girl's eyes widened in shock when she saw him coming back with a big basket filled with food. Alexander could hear the sound of her stomach churning. "I cannot thank you enough, sir."

Then, she let out a quiet sob when Alexander wrapped a thick, woolen blanket around her shoulders. "Y-You are very kind."

When the little girl looked up with glossy eyes, it brought memories of Annabelle to him and he felt his heart being ripped apart at the thought of her. "I must be going now. I hope your mother will get well soon."

"Thank you, sir. I wish you nothing but happiness."

Before the little girl completely turned around, Alexander heard himself ask, "What is your name?"

"Ella. My name is Ella."

    ♛    

"You're almost there, Your Highness!" the midwife had said to the princess that was still crying out in pain. "I can see the baby's head."

Madam Mary stroked Annabelle's hair as she comforted her. "Breathe, sweet Anna."

"I c-cannot--"

Just then, they heard the rough sound of footsteps coming into the room. Before Annabelle could register the face of the man she loved, he had his arms wrapped around her and sitting right next to her on the bed. She clutched his arm as another bolt of pain hit her. "Alexander."

"Forgive me," his voice was hoarse as he held her tightly to his chest. "I should have gotten here sooner."

"You are here now and that is all that matters," she offered him the warmest smile she could muster in her condition. Then, she screamed in pain again.

"You can do this, my love," he kissed the top of her head and squeezed her hand. "I know you can."

Annabelle looked at his soft blue eyes and nodded. Scrunching up her face in concentration, she urged herself to follow the midwife's orders. She pushed and screamed, until the sound of a baby crying filled up the whole room. Alexander gasped as a tear rolled down his cheek. 

"It's a boy!"

Madam Mary gently grabbed the baby to clean him up, and Annabelle took a second to nuzzle her face in Alexander's neck. She let out a sigh of relief as she heard him say, "I am so proud of you, darling. I love you."

She looked up to him and said, "I want to name him Charles."

"By my grandfather?" 

Annabelle nodded and smiled at him. "Though he did not approve of your father's love, we would not have been here today if it wasn't for that."

He smiled and put a kiss on her lips as Madam Mary came with the baby. She cooed, "He's such an adorable little boy."

She gently put him in Alexander's arms, and Annabelle felt a few tears rolling down her cheeks as she looked at her baby with the most beautiful blue eyes. Alexander softly chuckled, "Little Charlie it is, then."

That was when Annabelle finally realized that the pain had not ceased still. She frowned and looked at the midwife in panic. Alexander stiffened beside her. "What's the matter?"

"Oh, Your Highness," the midwife excitedly said. "It seems that another one is coming!"

Annabelle let out a quiet scream of pain and surprise.

Before anyone could hardly register the news, the midwife was already holding the baby in her arms. "This one is a girl!"

She cleaned the baby up and carried her to the new mother. Annabelle gasped as the baby wrapped a tiny hand around her finger. 

"She's gorgeous," Alexander whispered and softly teased Annabelle with a wink. "Just like her mother."

"What will be her name?" she asked, stroking the baby's head. 

"What about," Alexander started, taking a deep breath. "Ella?"

Annabelle smiled and looked at the little girl in her arms. "It certainly suits her. How did you come up with that beautiful name?"

"Let's just say it was purely serendipitous,"

"Serendipitous?" 

"Yes," said the prince and kissed his princess on the lips. "Just like our love."

The End 

Is this even real life? Wow. The reason why I held back on updating this final chapter was because it was really hard for me to let go of this book. It will forever hold a special place in my heart as it is officially the first story I have ever finished. *grabs a box of tissues*

BUT! I have another story on the way and i'm so freaking excited to start sharing it here!!!! 

Also, I might write that short story on Penelope and Marcus as well :)

Thank you all for reading this book!!! Please don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this ending. It gives me tremendous joy when I read your comments <3