XXIII

"I don't know exactly how it happened, it kinda felt like magic."

♫ I Think I Fell In Love Today - Kelsea Ballerini ♫

  ♛  

Madam Mary stared out of the big castle window, impatiently waiting the arrival of Annabelle and the prince. The sky was bright blue that day, sunshine pouring out in golden rays. She sighed, briefly remembering the encounter she had with the young maid a couple of days ago. 

"Why haven't you told me that you and the King were once in love, too?"  Annabelle had asked the elderly maid. 

To say that Madam Mary was shocked would be an understatement. Aside from King Adam's late father, nobody knew about their secret relationship. He promised not to tell anybody. 

The elderly maid opened her mouth a few times, but to no avail. She could not figure out what to tell the girl standing in front of her. She had her hands on her hips, but still held that childish and innocent look on her face that proved she meant no harm in her question. 

"It happened long time ago, sweet Anna," Madam Mary finally answered. "It is in the past, now."

Within seconds, Annabelle was kneeling and hugging the elderly maid's sitting figure. "Please forgive me, Madam Mary." 

Madam Mary frowned once she noticed the solemn expression on the girl's face. "What are you on about, my child?"

"For pestering you about my problems with the prince when you had it way worse than me," the young maid stated. "How foolish I have been!" 

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Annabelle. You did not know about it," she chuckled slightly, stroking the girl's chestnut hair. "And I do not consider my past with the King as something painful."

"You don't?" 

Madam Mary smiled proudly. "Of course. If me and Adam hadn't separated, I wouldn't have met my loving husband later. And he wouldn't have given me two beautiful children to look after." 

"That is certainly something to be happy about." Annabelle's lips finally turned upward. 

"Besides, there wouldn't have been an Alexander that you simply adore now."

The elderly maid watched as the girl's cheeks turned bright crimson. She chuckled, feeling a tinge of warmth in her heart when Annabelle hugged her. "I do adore him." 

"Would you let me give you an advice, dear Anna?" asked Madam Mary, to which the girl nodded her head almost immediately. "Only with love you can overcome any obstacle thrown in your way. Never forget that." 

"Thank you, Madam Mary," the maid whispered, teary eyed. "I will forever cherish that." 

"I have no doubt that you will. For you and the prince have the greatest love I have ever witnessed before my eyes."

Madam Mary snapped out of her daze from the sound of people's chatter outside the castle grounds. Trumpets started blaring, causing the maid to jump in excitement. They were arriving. 

Running towards the entrance of the castle, she caught a glimpse of the prince's carriage. Behind it, there were people following its every move as it slowly entered inside. The maid's eyes filled with tears of happiness when she saw how praised the love of Annabelle and the prince was. People, commoners and royalty, stood around them and cheered them on. The young maid's face shone brightly against the afternoon sun, as her hand was held tightly by the prince. He kissed the top of her head, and everybody watched as the girl showed off her radiating smile. 

Annabelle brought enchantment into the kingdom, the maid thought. She truly did. 

  ♛  

The prince carefully helped Annabelle out of the carriage. Noticing the uproar of people, It brought him nothing but joy to see everybody accepting his girl as she really was. Dazzling and beautiful. 

He watched as she politely shook every person's hand on the way to the entrance and could not help but feel enormous love for her. She had the heart and soul of a pure angel. When she reached down to put a kiss on top of one little boy's head, his heart swelled. He imagined her doing the exact same with their own little children one day. 

His mother and father were waiting for them at the entrance, the warm smiles on their faces never fading away. Annabelle quickly curtsied in front of them, receiving a playful scold from the Queen to never do that again. Alexander just knew that she already saw Annabelle as her own daughter, and that thought made him tremendously happy. 

His father reached for Annabelle's hand and kissed it, making the crowd behind them go into a frenzy over a small polite action. "Welcome back, love birds."

"Thank you all for coming," Alexander had said to the people after turning around to face them. He squeezed the hand of the girl standing beside him, and added, "Do you want to say anything, love?"

"Yes," she smiled, looking at the everyone. "I just wish you all to have a wonderful day filled with blessings." 

Once again, the whole ground was filled with clapping and cheering. The Royal family waved their goodbyes at the villagers, catching the last few cheers as they went inside the castle. 

Annabelle was neatly tucked under the prince's shoulder as they walked together through the long stone corridors. She stopped abruptly as soon as she saw the familiar red haired girl disappear at the other end of the corridor. Alexander, having noticed it as well, sighed. 

"You have to talk to her," she gave his hand a squeeze. He wrapped his other arm around her and pulled her closer to him. When he kissed her forehead, she smiled contently. He seemed to have other plans, though, as he sneaked his arms down her waist and planted his lips on hers. 

Annabelle giggled against his lips, briefly pulling away. "There will be plenty of time to do that later." 

"Fine," The prince said, letting out a sound that was very similar to a whine. She giggled even more, and he did not mind that, as it was his favorite sound. "I'm holding your word on this, though." 

Giving her one last kiss, he left her to go talk things out with Penelope. It was not hard to find her, seeing as she was eavesdropping on them at the end of the corridor. She straightened her back when she saw him, making him sigh. 

"Shall we talk, then?"