Chapter 9

I watched Akeno trace her fingers over the lines on my abdomen. She seemed completely entranced by what I could not see on my skin.

"Akeno." I asked.

"Hmm?"

"You're straddling me."

Her eyes lit up. "S-Sorry." She moved over to my side and I sat up, grabbing my shirt. I pulled it on and she frowned a bit.

"The future is meant to be hidden." I told her.

"I'm aware of that." She answered.

"Then why look?"

"I wasn't looking into my future." She turned her head away.

"Then what were you looking at?"

"Your past."

I glared. "Why?"

"You're... unique." She answered. "I wanted to know what past caused this kind outcome."

"What did you learn?"

"Nothing of interest if that's what you're wondering." She said before leaning back against the bed.

"You sure about that?" I questioned.

"Sadly. I'd be happy if there was something I thought was interesting, you would know." Akeno said.

"Go to sleep." I sighed.

Akeno pulled the blankets over her head and I rolled my eyes. "We're sharing the bed you know."

"I'm aware." She answered. I grabbed the blanket and pulled it off her and found a fox laying on the bed instead.

Akeno looked up at me with sad puppy dog eyes. I glared at her before laying down in the bed beside her. She snuggled up against my side, resting her head on my shoulder.

I stared at the ceiling for a while before I finally let sleep invite me into its embrace.

My head pounded, and I thought I woke up. I sat up fast and groaned putting my hands on my head to try and stop the pulsing pain. However it accomplished nothing, and I fell from my bed, trying to crawl away from the pain that followed me.

When I raised my head, Akeno was standing over me in her human form. Her tail swayed behind her as she wasn't wearing any clothes, but her hair hid her private areas from view.

I reached for her, but she stepped back and watched me as my hands moved to my head again.

The pain was unbearable. It felt almost like someone was driving a knife into my skull.

"Aken-Akeno." I managed, extending another hand to her.

The knelt down in front of me, her scarlet eyes watching me. She tilted her head like I was interesting to her. Her eyes moved from mine down to my shoulder where she reached out and touched my arm again.

"The Fate Weaver?" She questioned, but her voice wasn't her's. It was different. Older, more toned, the pitch lower; deeper.

I blinked and before me was a different woman, with white hair, and bright blue eyes. The ears on her head moved to the sides more and shrank down a bit. The tail shrinking as well, and changing color to suit her hair.

This woman wasn't a fox.

This was a wolf.

I pulled my arm back and moved so I was sitting on my rear before pushing myself away from her till my back hit a tree. The room around me changed to that of a forest, and the woman before me was wearing animal skins like a tribal.