Chapter 1: It's Already Troubling When You Faint

"Flowers drenched in the rain are truly charming and fascinating. It really gives off a vibrant array of emotions."

Hikaru spoke from Koremitsu's side, his voice gentle.

If that sighing voice was to have an aroma, its elegant fragrance would spread through the humid air of that rainy day.

"The pale blue flowers carry such sweet dew, and the Commelina Grass works so hard to prevent them from falling; the Iris continues to look regal as its delicate body stands proudly; the Hydrangea dressed in water crystals looks so pure and dainty as it gives off a rainbow-colored light—these flowers look exceedingly alluring throughout the rainy season."

The rainy season had come early; dark clouds loomed above even in the late of May.

Koremitsu walked to school on the pavement that morning.

He carried a dull, dark blue umbrella, and strode forward with an arched back. Hikaru floated at his side without an umbrella.

The school uniform was composed of a white blazer and slacks. This opulent and slick design contrasted starkly with Koremitsu's gruff personality. It gave the appearance of a fine haute couture when worn on Hikaru.

"Koremitsu, don't you find flowers and girls to be more mysterious and alluring on rainy days? Whether it's their tender lips under the umbrella or their delicate neck, white limbs and exquisite hips, those are all so enchanting. The blouses of the uniform drenched by the rain are transparent, showing the lines of their underwear, making hearts race. The fragrance of shampoo from their drenched hair is also worth marveling at, and causes one to inadvertently close his eyes to enjoy, you know?"

"...Not at all."

Koremitsu retorted with a bitter tone.

"Why would you smell a girl's hair without a good reason? Are you a pervert?"

Being thought an oddball by his fellow students for talking to himself was an ever-present worry for Koremitsu, so he had refrained from answering Hikaru; however, he could not stop himself from retorting to Hikaru's prattling of the relations between flowers and girls on rainy days.

"You pervert, harem prince, flower idiot, hook-up devil, self-indulging guy, perverted delusional dreamer, big liar, con artist."

Even as Koremitsu scolded Hikaru, he attempted to keep his voice low enough to avoid being heard by others on their commute to school.

Hikaru complained with a pained expression,

"That hurts, Koremitsu! Why are you so unhappy?"

You're asking me why I'm so unhappy?

Koremitsu glared at Hikaru; his eyes were sharp enough to terrify other students, even without glaring.

"Do you need me to tell you why, you lying ghost!?"

Right, Hikaru Mikado was a ghost.

This was why he could go about with no umbrella on rainy days and not be affected.

His shirt was invariably dry and clean, and his blazer constantly a sparkling white; his light brown hair swayed smoothly across his petite, feminine face.

The death of Hikaru, the boy heralded by the school's students as a Prince, occurred a month ago.

Koremitsu had attended his funeral.

That was a mistake.

It was at that funeral where he found himself haunted by Hikaru's lingering presence, his ghost.