Chapter 40

"Monica!" Sevyn practically screams through the phone.

"Hey, calm yourself!" Monica screams back, "What's your problem?"

Sevyn is silent for a few moments before she speaks in a soft voice so low, Monica has to strain her ears to hear, "Corey and I almost kissed."

Monica's iPhone goes plummeting to the floor as it slips from her hand. A gasp escapes her lips and all she can do is stand in the middle of the kitchen, frozen with her eyes staring straight ahead. Her dad walks into the kitchen to see what all the commotion is about.

"What's the matter?" He asks, looking around his kitchen for a bug, a mouse, an intruder, anything that would have his daughter frozen in place.

Monica finally blinks and picks up her phone, "Uh nothing papa, just talking to Sevyn." She rushes out, grabbing a handful of marshmallows from the bag on the table and heading upstairs. She was planning on making hot chocolate but the bomb Sevyn just dropped is more important right now. When she's out of earshot of her dad, she quickly starts speaking. "Tell me what happened right now."

"Well we were just talking about college and stuff like that. He's um, worried about going off to college soon." Sevyn doesn't tell Monica the full truth because she promised Corey she wouldn't tell anyone about his dads friends beating him or how he has to throw away his acceptance to Brown. She hates not being able to tell her best friend the full truth but she knows the consequences won't be pretty. Corey may never trust her again. "So he just looked down in the dumps and a little bit scared even though he told me he was fine. And me being me, I wanted to just get his mind off things and give him a moment of relaxation. Next thing I know I'm leaning towards his lips."

"Oh Lord," Monica reaches her bedroom and plops down on the bed. She munches on her marshmallows in pure shock. "So what did he do?"

Sevyn sighs, "He pulled back and basically jumped off the couch. I mean I know it was kind of off guard but he didnt have to act like a middle school boy thinking I had cooties or something."

"Well can you blame him Sev? Y'all were just having a heart to heart and then you tried to kiss him. That's his best friends little sister, he's know you since you were a pimple faced pre-teen, you caught him off guard and he panicked." Monica explains.

"Yeah but still..." Sevyn trails off, not knowing what to say now.

Monica arches her eyebrow curiously, "You sound like you wanted to kiss him."

The silence on the other end confirms her suspicion and she gasps again. "Oh my gosh, you wanted to kiss Corey!" She exclaims.

"Only because I felt bad for him, I swear!" Sevyn rushes out, "I was caught in the moment."

"Mhm," Monica rolls her eyes. "And you're sure you don't have feeling for him?"

"No," Sevyn's voice is firm and emotionless. "I'm still not over Jackson...at all. Corey and I have been close for years, I don't like him like that. He's just easy to talk to and relate to. I guess I was just blindsided for a moment."

Monica nods her head. From the sound of her voice she can tell that Sevyn means every word. "I believe you Sev, I just want you to be confident that you don't have any feelings towards Corey before some shit happens."

"Nothing's going to happen because nothing did happen." Sevyn states.

"Ok, do your brothers know?" Monica asks.

Sevyn chuckles, "Yeah right, then they'd start assuming stuff. This is just gonna be kept on the low for now. Just me, you and Corey know about it."