“Look at your tan!” She quickly pulls me into a hug and holds a hand to my face. “I think I might be a bit jealous” I laugh and Paisley fights her way onto the ground and runs to Cheryl, in a seconds she’s already in the air and giving Cheryl the same treatment she gave to me making me grin wider then I think I ever have done.

“It looks like she missed us”

“She has, she hasn’t stopped asking about you since you left”

“Bless her” Cheryl’s dimples are on full display and Paisleys running her small fingertip over her left one. Her face lights up and she holds a finger in the air.

“I remembered”

“What did you remember?” Cheryl asks setting her back on the ground and as Paisley runs she waves her hand for us to follow her which we do until we’re in the kitchen looking down at a piece of paper she’s proudly holding in her hands.

“Wow is that me and your mam?” I question looking at her adorable scribbles which are getting more and more like people by the day.

“And an aeroplane”

“I have somewhere special to put it” Cheryl takes the drawing and walks over to the fridge. She takes a magnet and places it over the paper holding it to the door. “Doesn’t it look good there?”

“It looks amazing” I gasp over exaggerating for Paisleys benefit. “Will I go and get the suitcases from the door?”

“No love I’ll do it. You can take her up to bed. You can read her a story because I’ve not been meeting her standards ,have i?”

“She does have high standards, what can I say? I do the best voices ever” I laugh at Cheryl and scoop Paisley back up, she seems heavier than the last time I saw her and it was only a few days ago. I forgot how tall she was getting.

“Right then Miss, will we get you to bed?”

“Mam needs her bed too” she points out Cheryl yawning into her hand and  my mum rubs her arm.

“it looks like you’re both shattered, how about you all go and get yourselves to bed and I’ll sort out down here?”

“No mum, it’s alright you’ve done enough for us since we’ve been away”

“Well that’s part of being a mum, go on get upstairs. I’ll post the keys through the letterbox when I leave”

“You’re the best” I surprise her by  throwing myself and Paisley at her and hugging her the best I can with the one free arm I have. “Thank you so much for everything”

“Anytime, it’s been nice spending time with my only granddaughter”

“Have you had fun with Nana?”

Paisley nods her head rubbing her eye with the back of her hand and Cheryl takes her from me. “I’ll take her up, thank you again”

“It’s no problem” Cheryl heads up the stairs and I sit down at the kitchen table. “How was she, she wasn’t too much of a handful was she?”

“Not at all, she did have one day where she was in a right mood with herself but she snapped out of it when Sarah took her for pizza. She’s no trouble at all, it really has been nice to have her”

“And the dogs were okay?”

“No bother, everything was fine. If you ever need me to-“

“No! No more holidays for us, we’ve been on so many since we met that it’s ridiculous. The next one will be with Pai. It’s ridiculous how much I missed her”