Pact

You had made a pact with Tom the day he first saw you cry. You were 16, and sobbing just outside of the school gates. You weren't very close with Tom but he was still a nice person to be around.

"Hey, what's wrong?" His concerned eyes studied your puffy face.

"Nothing. I'm good. I'm good. I just uh-I just broke up with Brady,"

Tom knew Brady. Everyone in school did, he was a massive tool and he used himself well. No one had the heart to tell you that they saw him and Cathleen making out in a room at a party. Tom didn't know you that well so he thought it wasn't his place.

"Hey, hey," he saw you tearing up again and bright you in for a hug, "don't cry over that pillock. You let yourself cry over a boy again and I'm coming for you," you let out a little laugh.

That pact was to never let anyone hurt you again. Never let any man let you cry your heart out. You had stuck with it, always making sure to be the dumper not the dumpee. You hadn't been in a relationship for 3 years now, just sticking with casual hook ups in your final year of uni. It was a good system, some nights you brought guys over and some nights Tom brought girls. If they ever stayed too long either you or Tom would act like a spouse and kick them out.

"I was away for three days!-" you continued to shout.

"She's gone," Tom peeked through the front window.

"Oh wow I was really getting into character there," you held your chest.

"Yeah, throwing the ring was a nice touch. Where'd you get it?" He handed the fallen ring back.

"Oh thanks, I got it from Mum. She just got back from Europe,"

"Hungary?" Tom guessed.

"No, I just ate," you replied. That bad joke received you a pillow to the face.
That's how it was between you two. Joke after joke, you were real best friends and nothing could come between you. There was a level of comfort that you had around each other. You could eat together, pop his back pimples, outwardly tell him whenever he was getting stinky. It was great. That is until you hang around other people and they start pressuring you.

"When are you going start dating?"
"Have you two had sex yet or what?"
"When's he going to propose?"

Never. Never ever ever. He's just a friend.

*

"Wanna go out tonight?" Tom and you were chilling on the couch with the tv on as background noise whilst you were on your phones.

"Are you kidding? I have a class at 8 tomorrow," you scoffed. Tom just groaned in response.

"Come on, you have to start your year off on a low with bad sex with a stranger and a hangover. It can only go up from there,"

"You have clearly learned nothing in the past few years," you paused. You always said yes and Tom was just waiting now, "fine. Let's go with Harry,"

"No! Just us! I don't want to be the third wheel,"

"What are you talking about?" You asked. Tom gave you a disappointed look.

"Halloween last year. What was the costume?" he asked, you grimaced and sucked in a breath. You didn't want to do any matching or couples costumes because you wanted to get laid but your costume was last minute and reused from the year before. You told Tom that you were probably just going as a devil but ended up putting on that white and black wig and going as The Monster's Bride. Tom dressed up as a devil to get back at you for dropping out of the Frankenstein idea but was surprised. It was too late for him to change because Harrison showed up in Frankstein's Monster gear already.