"Interesting. Does it burden you?"

"Burden me, what, Your Distingué?"

"The creation of artificial human life. Your cyborgs. Does it burden you?"

"Never. I had never thought of that. And I don't see them as merely machines. I treat them like they're my own friends."

"What a kindhearted young man," Mayuu said.

A smile lifted the corners of Ten's lips upward.

"Please," she said. "Take a seat. Both of you."

The table was so wide. We had no idea where to sit. There were a number of vacant chairs. We just stood there like statues, waiting.

A laugh broke our state of tranquility. It was Taka's. "You can sit anywhere. We're not really that formal here. And don't be afraid of us, young ones, we do not bite."

I winced and gave him a smile. "Thank you for your kindness, Your Distingué. If you don't mind..."

I sat on one of the chairs, face to face with Yuta's mother. Up close, her beauty looked like it was slowly withering.

Snowflakes, I thought.

Ten took the chair beside me. Whatever flattery that my heart felt earlier was replaced by anxiousness.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Jurina giving orders to the cyborg servants. A while later, they were serving delectable cuisines on the table.

They also placed a glass of wine beside our plates. And the color of the liquid was... a scorching red.

My chest hardened at the sight.

Taka took in the sight of my reaction before he said, "Surely it doesn't bother you, right? You're not infected or anything."

"I am not. I am perfectly healthy," I encircled my hand on the wine glass. "I am just in awe."

"We drink what is served." Mayuu replied timidly.

Ten, wasting no second, brought the rim of the glass to his lips. Before taking a sip, he inhaled its scent first.

"Beautiful," Ten smirked. "And filled with aroma. As expected from a drink from the Rulers."

Mayuu and Taka released a soft chuckle.

"Oh young boy, it's nothing special." Taka said as he downed the bloodread liquid into his throat. Ten immitated his actions, seemingly satisfied at the wine's flavor.

Nothing special. I completely disagree.

I caught Mayuu staring at me. As soon as our eyes met, she raised her glass and said, "A toast?"

Her hand was as gray as ghost. But as far as I was concerned, I didn't point that out.

I collided my glass with hers, producing a tiny clink sound.

Then I brought the glass to my lips and drank, swallowing in the color of death.

_______

Yuta's parents were kinder than I assumed they were. Especially Taka. He was exceptionally polite. I was starting to feel guilty that I couldn't tell them where Yuta specifically was. No one should know.

"Did you receive the weapons I sent to you?" he asked me.

"Yes, Your Distingué," I replied. "I must say, you have amazing and unique weaponries."