(16)

I swallowed the lump in my throat as the memories flooded in.

"I have the usual story. Drunk father, abused mother and a broken girl running from her home," I mumbled looking any where but at him.

Warmth engulfed me as he took me into his arms. The pleasure of being comforted ran through my body. There are those girls that believe there will be some knight in their life at some point and then there are those that presume they will never experience what it is to love.

I was the latter.

Things were though, metamorphosing rapidly.

"I still want to know Pip."

"My dad owned a bakery in France and mother used to bake while he handled the finance and marketing. We weren't exactly rich but well-off. Things fell steeply when my mom had a miscarriage and dad in need of a son became depressed. He started drinking and abusing my mom until one day he shot her and then himself. I cried. There comes a point in your pain when you are done feeling the agony and the only thing left is a soul-less body. I just got up and walked. I had no idea what I got on, who abused me or what happened. I came into Verona, a thirteen year old and made a meagre life."

Silenece.

It had been too deep a session to handle but somewhere or the other I could feel relief washing in and pain bidding farewell. 

I looked at him.

His eyes were glazing with my unshed tears.

"You know something Pip?"

I gazed at him befuddled, anticipating.

He took hold of my hand and placed it on his temple in the wrist.

"This is what you make my heart feel."

My skin of the thumb could sense the throbbing. Something about this gesture felt more real than placing my hand on his chest and sensing the beat there.

Then his lips claimed mine.

As usual . . .

Our Blue Kiss.