(4)

He chuckled in my ears.

The lids of my eyes opened up in astonishment as light flooded in the darkness again. The sound of the bang had come out of his mouth.

I hit him on the shoulder.

"I can't help if you're scared of water guns Pip," he laughed loudly as my tiny wrists tried to hit the expanse of his chest. "Stop it." He gently took hold of my wrists and then pulled me into a hug. 

I controlled my tears trying to erase the fact that no one had ever held me like that.

"Let's go get some food Pip."

He was taking over like a virus on an infected body. He'd come out of nowhere and invaded my life so deeply that I saw no way out. I was Icarus flying too close to the sun.

We sat on the grass of a public park ignoring the snobby lassies and the spoilt lasses. A piece of chicken we shared while he had somehow acquired a soda can.

He stole so much but was always short. Where did he put all the wealth in, I couldn't dare to ask.

"What do you think of love?" I asked him randomly.

"What do you?" he asked back.

"I inquired first," I protested.

"Let's toss a coin then."

I called out tails and lost. Claiming him to be a cheat I tossed the coin myself and lost again. 

"It's when the twittering of birds stop to annoy but please you. When the skies about seem full of clouds that can be formed into shapes left to imagination. It's when a blooming flower, smiling baby and even a puppy seem to bring a hidden smile on your face and a twinkle in your eyes. Love is as simple as its spelling or its pronounciation."

I thought I'd said that beautifully but all he did was laugh with his front crooked teeth glistning in the sun while the dirty brown hair waved with the wind.

"You're a true romatic at heart Pip."

"You're turn."

"Love is tragedy."

He smiled at me and got up to throw the paper plate away. Then whistling, he strolled away leaving me frustrated sans answers.