(7)

It turns out Lucy wasn't the only one he came to save.

There were so many domestic animals. What I did when I saw a storm trying to hit me was jump onto him until he was holding me bridal style trying to calm me down.

One creature was bearable but so many of them were just horrible.

Slowly I started to appreciate his gesture though. These animals had been kept tied up in a slaughter house. Soon enough they would have lost their lives to the mercy of humans and their stomachs. I knew what starving felt like but massacring so many lives for no use was just plain wrong. 

I found new respect growing in my heart for him.

"So you still despise me Pip?" he asked for once looking sheepish.

"There was a time in my life when I thought that people were just machines especially designed to destruct until I met you. Now I know, behind every beast is a beauty after all."

"It surprises me Pip that you live in a trash can and yet you come up with nothing short of trash," he smirked.

That hurt me.

I turned away to hide my tears.

"Yet every time you speak or try to make sense Pip there's something about it, something so magical that pulls me in to listen and ponder. Who would have thought that a girl with a constant smudge on her nose, smelling of wet mud in the first rain, tatters adorning her body and murky brown eyes would make so much sense," he said gently.

It made my tears vanish. It made my heart skip a beat.

"What does it matter though? I'll never be like those beautiful girls," I said suddenly feeling deflated.

"There are all the animals?" The lady in official uniform addressed us. We had brought all the animals to the shelter house at the break of dawn.

"Yes," he murmered.

"Thank you. Here is your price," the lady said kindly and handed us a few euros. By the looks of it we could even buy ourselves new clothes.

I mean he could buy for himself.

We walked back towards are shackles. I looked at a baby in an elegant lady's arm and it waved its pudgy hand at me. Giving me a glorious smile, it immediately took hold of my heart.

"Ah...baby smiling. Symptom of love Pip?"

He never quit teasing me.

Just then the mother's eyes followed her child's and she looked at us startled. Quickly, she collected her packets and sccuried away as if scared of us.

I looked despodant.

Why wouldn;t people just treat us like people anymore. We were beggars not street dogs. I'd even been pelted once by a ludicrious weak-sighted nincompoop who thought I was a dog trying to steal his umberella. All I'd been trying to do was help him not lose his device in a ditch. Aiding someone or trying to act more human was a crime in this world.

I, the sorry criminal.

After a long night we reached our broken homes. I yawned and shook out the negative vibes. It was time to sleep on the ground again. I might as well sleep outside, it would be cooler. 

"See you," I yawned at him.

"You're polite today."

I giggled. Entering my hole to take up the cloth I usually slept on, I was held by a strong hand and pulled outside. Twirling I met his hard chest and looked at him in astonishment.

His eyes had darkened and there was a thoughtful expression lining his face. He just stared at me for eternity while I did my usual task of chalking out his moles into a constellation. He was after all like a galaxy full of stars.

"Remember this Pip. You don't need to be physically beautiful to be attractive. What's your soul's score is what matters. A caterpillar is hideous but ultimately it is a beautiful butterfly all the creatures are jealous off. Similarly you are an ugly duckling but actually you're a swan all pure albaster and the most beautiful."

I let my tears fall down.

Not because he'd called me ugly but because he cared enough to care.

That's all that mattered.

His soul score was infinity on ten.