Chapter 1

I came from the southern water tribe up to Republic city in the early summer of 174 AG. I had been thinking of getting a flat within The city, but coming from the land of frozen tundra taunted by well-cut lawns and sand beaches. What's a girl to do? With that I decided to surprise a distant cousin of mine. His house was extravagant. Sitting on one of the commuter towns around republic city. Across the sea, I could see a massive house. My driver gave a swift turn before I could tell the details, the momentum sent me to the edge of my seat. The east side of the bay is where the more fashionable set of houses sat, those who were from rich families, running all the way back to atleast to Lord Sozin's time. Palaces stretched across laws and ivy covered walls. The Events that took place that summer really all were set into motion by that evening. I had arrived earlier that day on ship, and was headed to the house of my cousin, Varrick, where I would stay the remainder of that summer. I had known his wife from my school days, she was two years older than me. I had spent two days with them last autumn in Harbor city.

Why they had chosen to live in republic city had me at a loss. They had lived in almost every large city across the nations. Ba sing se to the capitals of both the Northern Water Tribe and the Fire Nation. They had drifted here for no reason what so ever. Maybe it was to remain with the same kind of wealthy people who were simply rich together? Varrick had told me over the phone that this was to be there last move, but I wasn't quiet sure, Zhu li would certainly love to live other places before finally choosing one. I had said nothing to him. It was much better for him to remain in the dark about these things.

Gold light reflected off large glass windows to the house of family I hardly knew after all this time. Ivy covered walls and large sweeping gardens down to the beach front and a dock at its end. It was warm for late evening in early summer. Zhu li appeared on the front porch. She turned to see my car pulling up and gave a smile. She hadn't changed much since our school years. I couldn't say much for her appearance, Brown hair and glasses. I exited my car and walked up the steps onto the porch as the drivers gathered my suitcases.

"Korra! It's so wonderful that you've come!" Zhu Li embraced me in a hug, which I had awkwardly given back. "What do you think of the house? Isn't it marvelous?"

I gave a nodded in reply before I spoke. " Yes, its lovely, Zhu Li."

"Lets go in!" She put one hand around my shoulder as if to motion me through the main doors of the house. Through the glass of the parlor room which Zhu Li had lead me, the ocean and the dock were visible still in the dimming day light. Within the room itself the smell of smoke travel , despite the open windows. On a table toward the middle of the room sat too men, the younger of which I recognize from the movers that had played at the Glacier Spirits Festival a year prior. The elder was Varrick, He sat in a rather pensive position, looking over the pai sho board. Pieces scattered about it. The younger of the two was about to make a comment before Varrick place his hand directly in front of his face. Within a moment or two Varrick had moved his piece across the board. He straightened himself and then noticed that Zhu Li and myself had entered the room.

"Korra!" He gave a wide grin. He patted my shoulders before moving on to give Zhu Li a kiss. Within Varrick's chatter of events that had transpired during Zhu Li's and my own's short absence. Zhu Li broke away from her husband to speak

"Korra, This is Bolin, He's one of the actor's in Varrick's movies.Bolin, This is Korra."

The young man approached me, holding out his hand. He smelled of smoke and wet spring dirt. He quickly took my hand firmly into his and shook it.

Drinks the color of gold poured from a bottle into four identical glasses. Passed around by a butler with a handle bar mustache.

"I can't."Bolin told him, raising his hand to the waiter. "I mustn't not before a fight."