one

After a long trying day at school all I wanted was a decent night of sleep. Of course, that was out of the question since I had to study for the upcoming history exam. So there I was, at nearly two in the morning; looking through my notes, humming along to my Ed Sheeran album and drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee.

I could just imagine Mrs Holland's angry face and her screeching voice waiting for me tomorrow if I failed the exam.  Apparently she did not care that tomorrow is the last day of school before we brake up for summer.

The crash I suddenly heard from downstairs made me jump and flail, but I convinced myself that it must have just been one of my family members, going downstairs for a drink. I'm just tired and the lack of sleep must be making me imagine things...

That idea disappeared as soon as I heard a voice swearing and a different voice laughing. No one in my family swore, and if they did, certainly no one would be laughing.

Taking of my headphones and pushing my books aside, I made sure I was as silent as I could be. The people downstairs could be burglars, and if they were, I wouldn't want them to notice me.

I decided that I needed to go see what was happening, because I couldn't just ignore it.  As I walked towards the stairs I looked at my little sister's door and hoped that she would not wake up. And then I looked at the door to my parent's bedroom and thought that it wouldn't be too bad if they woke up. After all, my father would obviously be much better at dealing with whoever is down there than me.

Tiptoeing down the stairs I heard a voice whisper, rather loudly for someone who presumably was trying to be quiet; "Thea, pass me a knife." When the voice said that, I realized what was happening. Someone either was robbing the house, or planning to murder me and my entire family. Oh god. Startled by a sudden loud sound coming from the kitchen I misplaced my foot and after a few seconds of flying down, I found myself laying on the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh shit" A male of voice gasped.

"Is she dead?" A different voice -this time female - asked.

"I don't think so... Let me check-" The voice whispered and I felt something prod my shoulder.

"Blake, you douche, you can't poke people with a stick!"

Someone who I guessed was called Blake chuckled above me. I was laying with my face pressed to the floor, my eyes closed and my legs on the stairs. I was as still as I could be. I don't know what I was trying to achieve by doing that,  but I guess I was just hoping that if I don't move, the burglars would go away.

"Hey Clumsy, are you dead?" The other voice- Thea, I think- asked and I felt a finger prod my shoulder-again. What's with the prodding?

"I told you this was a bad idea" Blake whisper-shouted at..um..the other person.

How did manage to already forget the name?

"Bad idea?" The person snorted "Blake, it was your idea."

"Good point" Blake laughed again and I cringed for how loud it was.  Yeah that's what we need right now, my family to come down and see me pretending to be dead on the stairs while two ridiculous burglars stand over me discussing bad ideas. 

"I think she's still breathing, we should probably turn her over." The female voice suggested. oh please don't- I thought, but it was no use since they obviously weren't able to read my thoughts and two pairs of hands were turning me over and resting me against the wall.