Chapter One - February

"Kirkland?"

I mumbled to myself as I walked into my next patients room. No way he was on here again. His wife saw me first making me smile. I knew how much she was struggling keeping up with him.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know how he keeps doing this."

"Hey. It's fine. I know how hard it can be."

Her face relaxed and she nodded before I turned to her husband.

"What brings you in again Mr. Kirkland?"

"That damned stove again. Why does the highest flame have to be next to the ignitor?"

"Well if it isn't next to the highest flame, how else would it ignite?"

He scoffed after thinking about it for a few seconds. I smiled at him, setting the papers down on the counter before grabbing a pair of gloves out of the box on the wall.

"Well let's see just how bad you got yourself this time."

After cleaning up his second degree burn for the most part I had to wait for a Registered Nurse to come in. His burn looked as if it needed a skin graft and I needed her to confirm it so she could have the doctor request it.

Once she agreed, she took over finishing the clean up on his wound, much to his dismay. Luckily he was between episodes and his reaction wasn't like it usually was. It was the silver lining of him constantly coming in because I was the only person he liked enough to allow to work on him. And they'd rather train me extra than constantly restrain him.

Since he was the only patient I had like that, I logged into a computer to get more information on him for the future.

"Blood pressure is 136 over 82. Temp is 99 degrees which is great. BPM is 88, great. Cell counts are good. His burn was.... cleaned by me, duh."

I typed my name and time into the computer so the chart would stay updated; making sure I didn't note that the doctor should do a graft since they wouldn't read it. I moved on, now seeing what meds he was on and when they should be given.

"Y/N. You better not be under my damn name."

I made a face realizing I made changes under her name instead of my own. Feeling her start to softly push me so I could stand up made me start to whine.

"I had to check on George. He's in here again."

She sat down right after I stood, looking over the information quickly before she smacked her teeth.

"Girl you just cleaned his burn. Which means you just saw him."

"But I didn't know what his meds were and when he last got them."

"And now that you know, what's your conclusion?"

I huffed out, crossing my arms and mumbling.

"He's fine I guess."

"Right."

She turned back to the computer, pulling up a different screen and putting in a separate password.

"Now clock out."

"You don't have to be so mean about it."

She giggled as I leaned over, typing in my employee code, looking at her quickly when she spoke again.

"You got class after this?"

"It's Sunday."

She pulled her lips into her mouth causing me to laugh before I continued.