Moving On - Chapter 2 - Strife

Ava winced as her car door shut behind her. She drove off without event and hoped for her mother to be nice—or at least passive—this time around. It seemed to Ava like every time she went to her mother's house, the two grew more bitter, particularly towards one another. Usually, however, her sister was there to be a mediator and peacemaker. This time, her sister was out of state...No help would come from her this time.

She thought these things through as she drove down the quiet highway. Her car mirrors revealed that she was the only one on the road. Without giving it much thought, Ava pulled her car over to the side and turned it off. "Do I really need to talk to someone this bad?" She thought to herself as she contemplated turning around. She involuntarily looked forward and thought painfully of her mother and her's last talk when they were alone... It wasn't all bad.

Clenching her teeth and eyes, she turned the vehicle back on and pulled away from the curve. She checked her mirrors and sped up to avoid the oncoming traffic, though it was still a good distance away. The light vehicle quickly gained speed and she was off once again. The car she sped up to avoid passed her, but luckily, it kept speeding on, so Ava wasn't pressed to brake.

She eventually arrived at her mother's without any more interruptions and she parked in the wide gravel driveway. Ava was still reluctant to go inside. After a few more moments of deliberation, she clenched her teeth and grudgingly got out of the vehicle. Her feet trudged slowly towards her mother's ancient-looking door  and she knocked lightly. 

She waited. "Not again..." She thought, horror-stricken. She knocked very hard this time.

After a short while, her mother came to the door and, smiling, invited her in.

* - * - * - *

Ava's mother had begun preparing brownies for herself, in the absence of Ava's sister Sheryll. Ava was an all-around fan of brownies, which helped to cheer her mood. Her mother was glad to see her, especially since the last time they had spoken was in the wake of the death of Ava's father, nearly a year ago. 

The tea Ava's mother had made was, as always, good and cold, and very sweet. Her mother had lived in Georgia for most of her life, until moving to Missouri with Ava's father when Ava was 10. As such, both Ava and her mother still had traces of a southern accent and Ava's mother had all the right traits: very sweet tea, a helpful countenance, and an outwards reputation for hospitality. Naturally, however, Ava thought her to be nothing more than quite hostile to her for most of her life. This was one of the prime reasons for their near-constant tension.

"So, mom," Ava began, trying to think of something to say.

"So, Ava... Yes. I know. We've had our times. I know you don't know what to say. I can't say as I do either, really. Ever since your father's passing, we just haven't gotten along, have we?" Ava's mother answered. 

"No, not really. I mean, we haven't. Yeah..." Ava said awkwardly.

Her mother smiled grimly at her and got up. She busied herself about the kitchen and didn't say much for a while. "You know, I've been meaning to talk to you about Maya." Her mother said, looking darkly at Ava.