Epilogue

It was almost noon, nearly a month since I came back to the home and a week since I had accepted this place would have to be home, and I was sitting on my bed, watching a movie on my computer when Marin came bursting in. "Avis!" She whispered, awkwardly running off kilter to my bed. "There's a lady downstairs. In the office."

"And?" I asked her.

"I think you should just look, okay?"

I quickly ran down the stairs to where the walls ended banister began. If you leaned way over the rail, you could see through the window of the office door. I was practically straddling it, trying to get the best view. I gasped. It was Mother! She found me, somehow. I don't even care how. She and Mrs Alton were chatting, going over paperwork, but I couldn't see.

Then, she walked out and I ran down the stairs. Mrs Alton chuckled. "And there she is... I have a feeling she was a little ahead of herself," she looked to Marin, "and had a little help."

Marin giggled and blushed a little.

I was speechless. I just ran and hugged her like I'd never be able to again. "Are you gonna take me home?" I asked her.

She sniffed a little. "Uh huh. It's all set to go. I'll warm the car while you pack your stuff."

Up to my room I went, and I grabbed my school bag and put some stuff in that, before rolling up my posters and packing my clothes in the duffle bag. I did a small assessment of the few things I owned and grabbed the stragglers.

I said my goodbyes to to Marin and some quick ones to the rest of the kids before Mrs Alton led me out the door. "I'll miss you," I told her.

Mother was in the same car Father drove us back to the facility in, but we was driving. I got in next to her and tossed my bags in the backseat. I buckled in and looked at her before we drove off together. To home.