"Lift your chin."

Taking a deep breath, I lifted my head.

He snapped the band around my neck and locked it in place. "There you go." He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around.

I dropped my gaze.

"You need a haircut. You can't even see your face..." He pushed back my bangs. "Look at me."

I tried to but couldn't do it for more than a fraction of a second.

"I told you to look at me."

My heart was racing. I tried again but could barely manage to do it slightly longer.

"I said look at me!" He snatched my face.

Gasping for air, I felt my knees give out and I knelt between his legs. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, sir. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

He patted my head with a sigh. His hand brushed down my neck to the scars on my shoulders. "What are these from?"

"My old master thought it was rebellious"—I took a big gulp of air—"to—to look at a werewolf."

He lifted my chin. "Close your eyes."

I did so.

Collin lifted me to my feet. "The scars seem old. Most are rather faded."

"It was from when I was little. I don't do it anymore, sir."

"I'm noticing." He cupped my cheek. "You're a very obedient human. You know your place. But..."

My breath caught in my throat.

"You will do as I say. Open your eyes."

I slowly did so and peered into two black eyes that peered back at me. On his muzzle were three thin scars. I focused on them.

Collin reached up and touch them, before clearing his throat. "Work in progress, I suppose." He turned his chair to his desk. "You can go."

"Yes, sir." I sped walked to the door, telling myself not to run. I slipped into the hall and carefully closed the door. Thank god, that was over.

A squeal filled the corridor. I froze when I saw a younger black werewolf with a splash of gray on her chest racing toward me.

"Oh my god!" She grabbed my face and squeezed. "Where did they find such an adorable human?"

"Arianna!" Collin's voice boomed from his office.

With a sigh, she rolled her eyes.

His heavy footsteps sounded and the door flew open. I was feeling light headed as I reminded myself I still needed to breathe.

"What are you doing?" said Collin. "You're going to give the kid a heart attack. You can't just attack a new slave like that. You know that."

Arianna ignored her brother. "He's a slave. Last time I checked, I can do what I want."

"I am the head of this house."

"Good, god, not this again. Why don't you go to Washington, too? Then you and dad can fight about who's in charge there."

"I'd love to, but someone has to run this damn farm since no one else seems to want to take on any responsibility in this family."

Arianna started to grin and draped an arm around my shoulders. "Mom told you Ebony is back, didn't she? That's why you have a stick up your ass."

Collin clenched his hands. "You will watch your mouth." He removed her arm from me. "Especially in front of the slaves. Go—" he fumbled over his words. "Um..." He let out a huff through his nose.

She chuckled. "What's your name, kid?"

"Milo, ma'am."

Arianna scoffed. "God, that sounds horrible. I'm not old enough to be a ma'am."

I flinched. "Miss?"

"Better," laughed Arianna.

"Milo, go." Collin pointed to the hidden stair. "Now."

Bowing my head, I hurried off. Once safe inside the staircase, I drop to the ground and clutched my chest. My heart was pounding so fast. I was really missing home right about now.

***

(Collin)

"Go do your homework."

"Last time I checked, you only get one dad." Arianna folded her arms.

"Tell that to every gay couple in this world," I retorted.

My little sister narrowed her eyes at me. "I only have one, and I'm starting to wish I only had one sibling, too."

I met her gaze. "Now."

Her fur bristled. "You're so annoying." She marched down the hall. "I am going to show my friends Milo next time they come over!"

"He's not a toy, Ari. He has chores to do, so leave the slave alone."

"I can do what I want." She put her hands on her hips. "Mom says, so there." She stormed off.

Rubbing my face, I sighed. Teenagers. I was looking forward to the day when that girl finally grew up. I went back into my office sat behind the desk. Picking up my tablet, I navigated over to the slaves' files. I typed in 'Milo.' No results came up. He must not be in the system yet. Sinking into my chair, I swayed from side to side. The human was an interesting little thing.