Interlude 4: The Best of the Best

Start from the beginning

I wonder why she gave a number when she's never given one before. This is hardly the first time a hero has ignored her warning. So, what changed this time? Is she getting better control over her power? Is it the area?

I continue to map out and date every single sighting of her since Behemoth attacked Lyon, France in 2003. I'm looking for patterns. Aside from never warning about the Simurgh...she hasn't warned about every other Endbringer attack either.

There are a few that she didn't warn people about. Among them are the Leviathan attack on Newfoundland in 2005, and the Behemoth attack in Australia in 2007. What am I missing? Did she not see those coming? Was she not able to get there in time?

My facial recognition software has only managed to match her to this sketch I found in an email that was sent to a cape called Anubis. Colin and I agreed to research Aeon while he's under house arrest. It gave him something to do.

I have another email. It would seem that the mercenary Anubis wants answers.

"Who are you and why do you care?"

So, is there some investment in finding this girl beyond money? The first question is expected, but the second almost sounds accusatory. Since I'm currently investigating her, I decide to be honest with him. To an extent.

"This girl is a person of interest in an ongoing PRT investigation. Any information you have concerning her must be turned over to your local PRT Headquarters, or you can send it in an email."

I am kept waiting maybe a minute before he replies.

"No."

Interesting. No reason, no cussing. There's nothing suggesting hatred. He's being clear, but not rude. I wonder if it's the fact that it's for the PRT that's bothering him. Maybe. I decide to look up his Parahuman online page.

He's a Rogue, a mercenary, who's been spotted all over the world over the past decade. A few reports mention him having a dog but the species changes each time. The PRT has a bit more useful information. He's a teleporter, classified as a Mover 5+ due to his high cyclic rate.

No reports show him killing anyone who wasn't corrupt or otherwise a tainted individual. He has also been seen saving women and children. One woman wrote a post online thanking him for saving them. I settle on a reply.

"Failure to turn over any information you have will be considered obstruction, and you will face the full force of the law."

His response might suggest that he's cocky, but I think he's just trying to convince me to drop it.

"I am aware. However, seeing as you can't catch me, you can't very well follow through on that threat now can you?"

I reply.

"Now that you have left Brockton Bay, you are much easier to find."

I know it can be problematic to do this. It could scare him into closing the laptop before I've gained control of the webcam. Thankfully, he replies.

"Are you sure about that? I've been avoiding people for years. What makes you think you can do any better?"

According to his Parahumans online and his PRT file, he has...for over 20 years. It takes me a moment to come to the conclusion that if I am to get anywhere with this man, I'll need to start being more honest and direct.