Chapter 24

Previously: 

She could fight a little, if she ignored the agony that she felt every time she tried, but she had to reserve her energy and not tip her hand to Not-Loki. Lila wasn't sure of the extent of how he could use the warped bond against her, but she wouldn't risk it for the little things.

If things became violent, which they undoubtedly would, then she would just have to try and make sure her body harmed, instead of killed. It was better than nothing.

Besides, – a small, more animalistic part of her whispered – they would be the same as those scientists that tortured her for years. What was a body or two, or ten?

Lila mentally shook herself, though, she supposed there was really no need. It wasn't like she was in control of where she was flying to, and it was a couple more hours yet anyway.

She sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{ Dramatic 1966 Adam West Batman announcer voice}

~~ "And now, we check back in with our intrepid heroes" ~~

The moment the jet landed, everyone piled out, making a beeline for the elevators that would take them to Xavier's School's lower levels, and thus, Cerebro.

There was an unspoken urgency in their stilted, hurried pace; a silently acknowledged time constraint and commonly felt frustration shared between them as their unknown deadline crawled closer and closer.

As they rushed, Clint contemplated.

The leaders of the two groups were right to break the bad news when they did. It gave him an apt amount of time to wallow in self pity before sucking it up and getting something done.

He'd feel better when he had something active to do, anything to get Lila back faster.

(A/N I know zilch about American geography, so I'm gonna be as non-specific as possible, okay? Okay.)

Only three people were allowed into the Cerebro room itself, while the remaining had to anxiously wait outside.

Clint raised his chin and looked Charles in the eye. The glint of determination in his hard eyes was enough for him to let Clint into the room.

He waited with baited breath as he watched Charles don Cerebro's helmet, close his eyes, and begin to focus.

They all knew, that if Lila didn't want to be found, she could block the professor out, and he'd never be able to find her. However out of control she might be at the moment, it might only be physical, if she still had control over her mind, she might know to lower her defences so the professor can locate her.

They could only hope that she didn't have her mental shields raised permanently or they'd never find her, at least, not before Loki – or whoever was controlling him – wanted them too.

A few quiet moments passed before Xavier breathed out and opened his eyes. 

Before Clint could even open his mouth to ask, Charles spoke.

"I've found her."

A collective sigh of relief.

As they all piled back into the jet, Ororo set the coordinates Charles had given her and they shot off, south-eastern bound. They all sat to listen to his explanation.

His countenance was grim as he spoke.

"I only managed to get an impression of her target location as she is flying right now. From what little I could tell, her shields aren't  at full strength because her mind is at war with her body. Inside, she is still Lila, but her body's action are not their own. I received phantom sensations of an almost constant pain as she tried to disobey Loki's orders."

Charles was not the only grim face amongst them.

"My theory, is that it is entirely possible, should she push against the bond that controls her too much-" they held their breath, "- it could prove to be fatal."

Despite not having interacted much at all, Thor and Clint shared a worried glance.

Thor knew by now that whatever controlled his brother desired power above all else, and would do anything to get it. Lila was a means to an end. She was their weakness.

Clint knew Lila well enough to know that she would sooner die than hurt innocents, or worse still, her loved ones. They were her weakness.

The teams settled back to wait. Lila had a head start, but they were in a jet. It was estimated that they would arrive shortly after she did. Hopefully not too late. They hadn't any idea what would be there or why she was headed there, only where she was going to be.

All of them quietly contemplated possible outcomes to whatever lay ahead. With Lila under Loki's control...it did not bear thought.