Chapter 66: Getting Involved

Start from the beginning

"What's your point?" he asked.

"We need to go out and make friends outside of glee club," she said, grinning.

***

"Hey man," Ryder said as he reached Jake at his locker. "We need to talk."

"Can we wait until at least lunch to fight it out?" Jake responded, sighing.

Ryder shook his head. "I'm not going to fight," he said. "Jake, Julie's not in school today."

"Maybe she's late," he suggested. 

"No," Ryder insisted. "Anyone she ever gets rides from-- John, Kitty, Bree, me-- we're all here. And I've asked all of them; she didn't ask for a ride."

"So maybe she's sick," Jake responded. "Why is it such a big deal if she misses school?"

"I was over at her place last night," said Ryder, and seeing Jake wince he added, "Talking, that's all."

"Right," Jake said, closing his locker.

"Jake," Ryder continued, "she told me she'd see me at school. She had no plans to miss. And something seemed off about her."

"So call her at home and see what she says," Jake said. 

"Can you try to care just a little more?" Ryder asked him angrily.

Jake sighed. "You wanted me to stay away from her," he said. "Believe me, I'm doing this for you, not me." He walked away and Ryder leaned against the lockers, pulling out his phone once again to call Julie, only to have her not pick up for the fifth time that morning.

***

"What is the key to any and all performances?" Will asked the glee club as he walked through the door.

"Winking!" Kitty exclaimed.

"What?" Will responded. "Umm, no. I was going to say--" He looked around the room and asked, "Where's everyone at?"

"Joe, John and Unique are meeting with prom committee to decide on a theme," said Marley.

"Can't believe she's still helping out..." Shana mumbled.

"Dan and Harmony are exploring or something like that," Ryder shrugged. 

"Eww," Kitty groaned. "I don't want to know what that means."

"I think they're trying to make friends," Sugar said. "At least that's what I got out of what they said earlier."

"Friends outside of glee club?" Bree scoffed. "Doubt it."

"And Julie and Jake?" Will asked.

"Julie's out today," said Kitty. "And Jake was here up until third period when he magically vanished."

Ryder thought about this for a second. He'd talked to Jake before third period...

"I guess they're going to be missing out on the treat I had today," said Will. "I know you guys spend  a lot of time in here and that takes sacrifice, especially your lunch time. Which is why today, I decided to treat you to a nicer lunch than the school would've provided you with. Pizza and ice cream should be here any minute. Let's get started, shall we?"

***

Knock, knock, knock. Julie pushed her head into her pillow as she heard the faint sound of someone arriving. When that someone knocked, she groaned and weakly called out, "Go away..."

Downstairs, Jake stood at the doorway with his hands in his pocket. Judging by the empty driveway, nobody was home. Yet, something told him she was inside. He hesitantly reached for the doorknob, only to find that the door was unlocked. Stepping inside and wondering whether the home had an alarm system, he closed the door behind him and looked around.