TWELVE ~ A Change In Plan

Chapter Twelve

•Claire•

"Wow, you really have a habit of showing up when you aren't wanted." I stated at which my mother glared.

"Can I help you Agent Romanoff?" Asked Kylie cheerfully, completely ignoring my statement.

"I'd like to speak to my daughter, if that's not too much to ask." She said giving me a look.

"No." I said simply whereas at the same time Kylie said;

"Sure!" turning to look back at me she said; "I'll be back." And her long pony tail swished side to side as she left. Like left the whole room. Why would she do that?! Anyways my mom stepped further into the room and closed the door softly behind her.

"Have you come to turn another sob story into some semblance of an apology?" I questioned and she rolled her eyes.

"No, just wanted to tell you your father has left Wakanda and he's in east Asia. He's under the radar so he's fine." I shrugged.

"And I care because...?" I waved my hand willing her to go on but I got a blank look in return.

"We're going to the UK, SHIELD is running an OP. The mission is classified but you can take the pod down with the team. I cleared it with Coulson so it's okay. I'm letting you know about your father because he's close and he might wanna see you." I nodded at her response.

"I wonder if his apology will be better than yours." I ignored the numbing in my arm and crossed it over my other one. We were on opposite sides of the little room and there was barely a distance between us but she took a step closer anyway.

"Claire, If leaving meant that both of you could live then I'd do as many times as I had to. I didn't enjoy being away from my own children I did it to keep you safe!" My eyes widened to the size of saucers at that word.

"Safe?! Sorry, what part of my life did you consider safe? Obviously I missed it!" I was shouting now and took another step towards her.

"Fine, poor choice of words," she admitted, "but you had all of SHIELD to protect you. I could have only done so much."

"I didn't want protection I wanted my parents. I wanted bedtime stories and— and little notes in my lunchbox. I wanted to fall off my bike and get a hug when I cried. I wanted kisses goodnight, and homemade— homemade anything! The little things are what I wanted and you don't know what I'd give if I could've just had both of you there." Heavy breathing is all that filled the silence after my rant. Finally, my mom took the last step and closed the space between us. My mom was only a few inches taller than me but the height difference was obvious now. With a sigh she cupped my face with cool hands and I felt my anger and sadness slightly dissipate. She just looked at me. Stared really, as if she was trying to memorize what I would look like.