Chapter 23 ~ The Explanation

I was dreading having to face his parents, one of them being my own. That statement replayed in my mind over and over again yet I could never get used to the reality of it. It seemed too abnormal that I shared the same Father as the boy as I was in love in. That doesn't happen to you every day.

We didn't have far left to run. Neither of us had slowed down, if we had the courage to skip school there was no doubt that the three guys back at school would do the same just to harm us. Although that didn't mean there weren't points where I wanted to stop. The closer we got to Kellin's house, my new home, the more I couldn't prepare myself for the heartache I would receive.

"Vic, stop questioning yourself already. It'll be fine. My Mum will accept you, well, she already has and Calvin's your Dad. He has to acknowledge you at some point and if if not I'll just force this upon him. I told you that I love you and I'm not letting you go, not even my parents will get in the way of that," Kellin reassured me. I knew that I should've been grateful for those words of his but I instantly felt responisble for something that hadn't even happened yet and that was his parents disowning him because of me.

"Trust me, Vic, I mean it," he continuted and I smiled for the first time that day. I squeezed his hand and we picked up speed. In less than a full minute we had reached his house and my heart almost stopped as the nerves ate away at me. This was it.

He walked towards the door with me in pursuit and gently opened it leaving it open for me to step in after. I could hear his Mum's gentle voice singing softly to herself in the kitchen and it was a tune that I recognised. Somehow I knew that it was from when I was younger, before I had lost my memory but I still knew it. That's how strange life can be sometimes.

I strode past the eye catching photograph of Kellin and I from when we were younger which made me smile unconsciously. The last time I had seen it a dozen questions were streaming through my mind but now I knew the truth and I could properly take in the beauty of the two children before me.

"Kellin! What do you think you're doing at home?" I suddenly heard Andrea say, more shocked than angry. This was the third time that her son had bunked off school, maybe it took a little to get used to.

"Mum, just listen to me. Vic and I need to talk to you," Kellin said and in that moment I stepped through the kitchen door frame so that I was in view of Andrea.

"Vic..," Andrea whispered my name, obviously not expecting to see me. I smiled awkwardly and walked towards Kellin taking his hand in my own, making me wonder if his parents knew of his sexuality, as we sat down at the kitchen table whilst Andrea did the same. My mind kept drifting back to imagining what would happen when Calvin would walk into the room to see me again.

"Where's Dad?" Kellin asked. Andrea replied saying that he had gone upstairs quickly but would be returning any second. She told me not to worry, that the first time I saw him was only a small incident which wouldn't occur again. I didn't believe any of those words.

As if on cue Calvin himself walked through the door. My Dad walked through the door just to promptly have myself catch his attention. Time seemed to slow down as he walked towards me emotionless. I edged closer to Kellin but Kellin didn't budge. Calvin had begun to silently cry as he gently pressed a hand to my right cheek and studied my face. The touch made me shiver to think that for the first time in years my real Dad was there in front of me, under control this time.

"Vic, I'm sorry," he said and he threw his arms around me. My mind didn't think as I returned the gesture. I was speechless but all I wanted was to have a proper family and right then it seemed as if it were possible.

"Dad, Vic and I need to talk to you urgently hence the reason why we're not at school right now," Kellin said desperately. We had the whole day to talk about this but I suspected that he wanted to get it off his chest.