XXVIII. The Trilby Strategy

"An incriminating letter was found in your study, Lord Glocheshire," the head of the Men of Courts said.

"And as I have said, I do not know what you are talking about."

The man picked up a piece of paper. "Perhaps if I read its contents, your memory will come back?"

Byron glared at the paper and said nothing further.

The head of the Men of Courts stared at him wryly. "This letter is addressed to you from someone aboveground."

"What?" he incredulously asked.

"As a matter-of-fact, it talks about how they can send you the payments for the information you gave them."

-Above and Below

*****

The very presence of the eldest of the Everard children was not merely reassuring but also comforting.

Who would have thought that the once feared Benedict Everard could bring his siblings such feelings?

The very first thing he ordered was for everyone, save for their mother who was asked to look after the children, to gather to the study.

"How much of what we discussed could be shared with Mother?" Maxwell asked the moment Emma closed the door behind her.

"We shall answer whatever question she may ask," Benedict replied as he focused his attention on Margaret and Cole. "Do you have any reason to believe the fire was intentional?"

"The fire was reportedly started in in the attic," Cole said, looking serious—almost angry. "Perhaps it was to drive everyone out of the household so they can go after what they really wanted to destroy."

"Another fire was started in Cole's study," Margaret explained. "The attic and the study received equal amount of damage."

"You are still working on the slavery case, are you not?" Benedict asked Cole.

Cole nodded. "I have been reviewing cases and collecting additional evidence."

"And we assume all your work is gone?" Levi asked.

"Not all as I still have a few left in the Courts, but yes, the crucial ones are in my study."

"Maggie," Ralph spoke, "you have a study. Was that destroyed as well?"

"Yes," Margaret said. "So was the nursery. Everything."

"Nothing was left? Nothing at all?" Agatha, Benedict's wife, asked.

"Nothing."

Benedict looked around the room before he asked, "Do we have to be alarmed? Are the Trilbys behind this?"

"They have all reasons to want to target us," Ralph pointed out. "Noah Trilby's reputation is at stake. They are concerned over Fiona like how Osegod was with Gwyneth. And Cole is likely to find evidence of their involvement in the slave trade."

Benedict shook his head. "And we all thought it ended with Osegod."

"No, I believe it started after the bastard was out of the picture," Maxwell said. "The Trilbys can be quite cunning, Amelia Trilby the most."

The eldest of the Everards looked at Margaret. "What do you plan to do now, Maggie?"

Emma watched Margaret reach out for Cole's hand and she witnessed how the coupled looked at each other. They had obviously already talked about their next steps.