Can't Promise Something That Isn't True

When I woke up, I could smell vanilla scented candles. I opened my eyes to see that I was in Sabrina's room, alone. The lights were off and the only light that was in there was coming from the candles. I could hear water running, so I thought that she was taking shower.

Nope, it's Sarah.

Sabrina came into the room with a cup of peppermint tea. She smiled when she saw that I woke up. "You're awake." She handed the cup to me. "Thanks." I said. We sat in a comfortable silence.

I had broken it though after I finished the tea. "Why are you burning candles?" I asked.

"It's relaxing. Especially when the lights are off as well." She spoke softly. "I'm going to go take a shower. You can come with me if you want."

"No. It's fine. I'll just take one later." I said.

"Y/N-" She started, but I interrupted.

"Sabrina it's fine. Really." She left the room and I put the cup in the kitchen.

"Hey Y/N." Sarah said from behind me and I turned around to face my brunette friend. "Hi Sarah." I waved.

"So how've you been?" She asked.

"I'm okay." I answered.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Oooh have an idea!" She said, a big smile on her face. "Let's go on an adventure!"

"Why?" I asked.

"Well we're friends right?" She asked and I nodded.

"Right."

"And we've never went on a adventure together?" She asked.

"No." I answered, confused.

"Well then let's go on one." She said and I thought about it for a second before answering. "Okay. When?"

"How about we go on like a road trip on Saturday and come back on Tuesday." She said.

"Sounds fun. I'm in. Is it just going to be the two of us?" I asked.

"Well I know that Sabrina's going to be busy on those days. I don't know if the others are going to be busy too. I know that my boyfriend is going to be with his family in another state for two weeks. Did you want to invite someone?" She asked and I shook my head. "No."

"Cool. We'll talk about this later." She said and went into her room. I, on the other hand, went into the living room and was greeted by Goodwin. "There's my favorite little pup! Did you miss me, cause I missed you." I said and he started wagging his tail.

He jumped on my lap and started to lick my cheek, making me giggle. "I love you, too." I said and he barked. I felt a dip beside me, and there was Sabrina.

"Bonjour." I said.

"Bonjour Monchere. Comment allez-vouz?" She said and I got confused.

"What did you just say to me? I only understood the first part." She giggled. "I asked how are you." She said.

I shrugged in response. "I don't know." I said, going back to Goodwin. She put her hand on my thigh and I instantly moved away, making her hand fall on to the couch.

"I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed. "I forgot that-" I cut off her sentence.

"It's fine, okay? Don't worry about it." I said.

"Do you want to spend the night here?" She asked and I kindly declined.

"No thanks. I'm just going to go home soon." Inside I was scared to even step one foot into my room, but I don't need anyone knowing that.

"Are you sure?"

No.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." I lied through my teeth.

"Promise?" She held out her pinky with hopeful eyes. I couldn't promise something to her that I know isn't true.

"I gotta go. Goodnight Brina." I said, setting Goodwin down and quickly leaving her house without letting her say anything.

That night, I didn't sleep in my room. I fell asleep on the couch downstairs, only to be waken up by another nightmare that had me shaking in fear and hot tears running down my face.

...

"You can't go to the studio for the next couple of weeks." The producer said over the phone.

"What? Why not? I have a tour coming up in a month." I said, running my hands through my messy hair.

"Sorry, but Sabrina called and said not to let you go. Something about you going through something. Do you want to talk about it?" I hanged up. I quickly called Sabrina and she picked up over a few rings.

"What's up? Are you okay?" She asked.

"You had no right." I said.

"What are you talking abo- Oh. Wait let me explain." She said.

"You told them what happened?" I asked.

"No. They don't know exactly what happened. I just told them that you are going through something and to let you relax." She spoke calmly. I heard someone calling her name in the background.

"Babe, who are you talking to?" A heard a feminine voice.

"Babe?" I asked.

"I'll talk to you later. Bye." Sabrina said quickly and she hung up. We're on break Y/N. She can see whoever she wants...

And I can do whatever I want. "Fuck it. I'm going." I said to myself and went to the studio.

"I thought you weren't coming."

"Well here I am. I'm okay, so can we get started? Tour starts in less than a month."

"Well you heard her. Let's get started." They started the beat and I started singing.

...

It's Saturday. The past couple of days, I didn't talk to well anyone really. But that's okay. Besides, I have other things to be focused on. "Hey Darkmoon. Are you ready to go?" Sarah asked.

"Yep. Do you want me to meet you at your house?"

"Yeah sure."

I drove to her house to find that she wasn't ready. "And you talk about me being unorganized!" I joked, making her laugh.

"Shut up." She playfully rolled her eyes. "Hey, can you go ask Sabrina where I left my keys?" I nodded and went up stairs to her room.

I heard her giggling from outside her room. "You're so cute." I heard the same voice from a couple days ago.

"Well then sue me, Joey." I really didn't want to go ask her now, but we'll leave quicker. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." She called out. When I opened the door, her smile vanished. "Hi." She greeted nervously and Joey had an annoyed look on her face from me being there.

"Hey. Sarah wanted to know where she left her keys." I asked.

"On her nightstand in her room." Sabrina answered and Joey grabbed onto her hand, intertwining their fingers together. Yeah I get the point. No need to rub it in my face.

"K. Thanks." I said and closed the door. I quickly got Sarah's keys and left the house, not wanting to be there any longer.

"Anything else?" I asked, giving her the keys and she shook her head no. "Nope. I have everything. Ready to go?"

"Yes." I said and I packed me stuff in her car and we left.