Chapter Twenty-One : Monica & Claus

Start from the beginning

"No, I'll have you know that I am going out tonight."

"Thank goodness. Out where?"

I smile, "On a date!"

"A date? Oh, right, with Dylan. Is this the first date for the two of you?"

"Yeah, dad, it's my first date ever in my life!"

He nods, "That explains the eagerness. Where are you going?"

"I wish I knew."

"Ooh, surprise dates are the best of them all," dad pauses a moment before changing the subject entirely. "So I'm going to get a Christmas tree next week, do you wanna come with me?"

I totally forgot about Christmas, honestly. It's just thirteen days away! Wow, I've already been in California for three months. I have to go Christmas shopping too!

"Yes!", I exclaim. "When have I not gone with you?"

"When you were in the eighth grade."

"Hey, that's because I had the stomach flu."

"Right, well we'll go on Wednesday when you get home from school, alright?", he says which I nod to as he stands up. "I gotta go relieve everyone of their duties, send 'em all home. I'll be back later."

"Okay, dad."

"Okay, Anita."

I love that guy.

There are still five hours remaining until Dylan gets off of work, and I want to be productive with my down time. I venture up to the attic and produce our three large boxes filled with Christmas decorations. I spend the next two hours adorning the different rooms on the first floor with snow flakes, snowmen, Santa Claus's, and pretty Christmas lights. The house looks pretty festive once I'm done.

After returning the now empty boxes to their home, I trudge to my room and flop on my bed, dialing Naomi's number.

"What up, squirrel friend?", she answers her phone in a funny voice.

"Hey, girl," I reply with a small laugh.

"What do you want?", now she's using her fake rude voice.

"Wow, fine, I guess you don't know wanna know what I'm doing tonight..."

"Tell me this very second!"

"I'm going on a daaate," I sing.

"Whaaat?!", she exclaims. "Your first ever!"

"I know!"

"Aw, this is gonna be so cute! Where is your man taking you?"

"That's the thing, he said it's a surprise. All he told me was I don't have to dress up all fancy."

"Hmm, well now we have to speculate where you could be going."

"Naomi, there are so many things it could be."

"Okay well answer me this," she says. "Where do you hope he's taking you?"

"I don't know, but I've always imagined my first date being on or near a beach," I confess.

"You and beaches, I swear. But I can see it, I can see it."

"Either way, he knows me well so I can't imagine him taking me somewhere I wouldn't like."

"I don't think he would either. But hey, I have to go to dance now. Have fun on your DATE! Stay bomb and make sure to text me as soon as you possibly can, because I need to know everything that happens tonight."