Chapter 15

I lie on the sand, staring out over the ocean. Its a lovely day, I've tidied up the house early this morning and is now relaxing on the beach. I haven't been down here since the day I said goodbye to Amelia's brother. After that day I felt peace in my heart. He will always be part of my life, but life goes on and I can't mourn his death forever.

Yesterday morning when I got to my shop, there was a beautiful bouquet of daisies against the door. I walked closer and saw a small card sticking out and bend down to pull it out. One sentence were written on it.

'I can still taste your lips against mine.' I knew immediately who it came from and look around and saw a figure going around the corner. I read the card again and smiled this time. "Whatcha doing" I hear from behind me and nearly jumped out of my skin. "What the hell is wrong with you Amelia, do you want me to die an early death or something, you can't sneak up on someone like that."

She starts laughing, "Well, I won't even ask how your night ended, she motioned to the card in my hand. So what really happened, Mmmm, miss I can still taste your lips." I went red in my face, feeling embarrass that she saw the note. "Nothing happened Amelia, it was just a kiss, nothing more," I said to her while picking up the flowers and open my store.

She follows me inside and I knew this is not gonna be the end of it, so ones I've put down my things, I turned to her. "Ok,I'll admit, I like Mason a lot, but I don't know anything about him. We never really got to his life story and I'm not gonna be hurt again." "I know you don't know Mason that well, but why have you never asked him about his life. Maybe he is waiting for you to make the first move, that's why he isn't saying anything, Amelia said with a frown.

After Amelia left the store, I sat there, thinking about her words. Now I'm lying here on the beach and the same thoughts went through my mind. If Mason don't wanna tell me anything, then I just have to respect his wishes and move on.

I closed my eyes and lay back and after a short while I feel a shadow over me and opened my eyes quickly and sit up straight. "I'm sorry if I have startled you Daisy, I've been at the beach since early this morning and saw you come down. I thought you had fallen asleep and wanted to make sure you don't get sunburn, but I have to admit, I'm not sorry that I walked over," Mason says while looking at my body. That's when I realised I'm in just a skimpy bikini, so I grab my bag and pulled out my dress, which I put on hastily.

"Do you mind if I sit down," he asked and I motioned for him to sit. We started talking in general, I told him that I grew up with my grandpa and that he passed away. He asked me how I became friends with Amelia as he already knows the relation between me and Ward. I told him that we've been friends forever, as we went to the same school, attended the same classes and that we more like sisters.

"Was there ever someone special in your life," he asked all of a sudden and I freeze up. How do you explain that you used to love someone before, but he never returned that love. I look at Mason and saw that he was watching me intently and decided to come out with the truth.

I told him about Amelia's brother, how I fell for him, how Amelia warned me against him and how Ward actually came into my life.

"The day I found you on the beach crying, do you wanna tell me what happened."

I close my eyes for a second, then look into Mason's eyes. "Its difficult for me to explain, but that day I decided to set him free as I felt it was time for me to move on." Mason nods his head, "and how do you feel about it now, do you still miss him."

"He will always be remembered as the guy I gave my heart to for the first time, but I grew up and moved on from my past. So what about you Mason, I hardly know anything about you. Where are you from and what's the story about your life, except that you're a firefighter."

"I've been a firefighter for many years. In fact, my dad used to be chief and my grandfather before him. Dad has retired just over two years ago when I had the accident, which has put me in a coma for two years."

"When did you wake up from your coma Mason and how did the accident happen." Mason looks at me and smile sadly.

"I don't remember much about the accident, but was told that the building collapsed when I went in to safe a small child on the top floor. Unfortunately the little boy didn't make it. Dad was right outside the building when it happened and that was the reason he retired. They all thought I was dead until I crawled out and I slipped into a coma minutes after they found me. I woke up on the 12th of September this year and felt different for some reason."

I looked at him in total shock. How is this possible that one died and one woke up on the same day. "Daisy, are you ok, you look like you just saw a ghost."