First Recital

Bobby took me to and from the ballet practices, Blue loved to help me practice in my room after I finished my homework. Miss Dever was very happy to learn that I liked the practices. Miss Crystal usually spent more time with me during classes because the rest of the class had been there for a year or two. She said I was doing good though, but I kept practicing anyway. "Practice makes perfect Chrissy!" Blue told me as I danced around my room. That was just before Bobby called, "Dinner!" from the bottom of the stairs. "Coming!" I yelled back as Blue turned off the TV. All it took was Blue to open the door for me to identify what Bobby'd cooked. Chicken nuggets, I liked chicken nuggets. "I'll clean up while you eat," Blue declared as he picked a blanket he'd been using from the floor. "Okay," was all I said before I ran downstairs. Bobby was distributing the chicken nuggets and French fries onto two plates when I got to the table. "You practicing up there kiddo?" Bobby questioned as he moved to the counter to set the pan down. I nodded my head as I hopped onto the chair, "Miss Crystal says that practice makes perfect, and I have a lot to catch up on," I informed him as I plucked a chicken nugget off of my plate. "Well she's not wrong," Bobby commented as he sat down and picked up a fry. "When was your recital again?" Bobby questioned as he started to shove fries in his mouth two at a time. "Saturday at the school auditorium," I informed proudly. He sent me a grin, "How about afterwards we go out and get you some ice cream huh?" Bobby's grin seemed to widen at my reaction to the suggestion.

The next day was when everything got interesting, it was a Wednesday morning when Miss Dever stepped into the hall to talk to the principal. She walked back in a few minutes later with a new kid, he had black hair and was skinny. "Okay class, we have a new student. This is Gannon," there was a chorus of, 'Hi Gannon' before Miss Dever continued, "Why don't you go have a seat by Chris, Chris can you raise your hand?" I did as she asked and watched as the boys eyes fell onto me before he walked over, dropping his 'Robots' themed backpack onto the floor. Miss Dever walked over to her desk and started picking through papers, "Where are you from?" I questioned, turning to face him. "Louisiana," he answered shortly. Attention was refocused as Miss Dever walked back over, "Here is all the papers we'll be working on today," she informed as Gannon took the stack. He took a moment to flip through a bit as Miss Dever walked back to the board, he glanced at the page I was on before he paid attention to her. "Alright, so as I was saying...."

Bobby was first in line to pick me up after school, he had one of his old books against the steering wheel. He only looked up when I opened the car door and climbed in. "How was school today?" He asked as he closed the book and put the truck into gear. "We got a new kid today, his name's Gannon and he's from Louisiana," I informed as I buckled up. Bobby pulled onto the road, "Louisiana huh? Interesting place," he commented. I nodded in agreement, "He told me a lot while we were a recess. He told me about alligators and crawfish and Mardi Gras and swamps." Bobby had a small smile, "Sounds like you had an interesting day," Bobby commented. I nodded and let my mind drift to Saturday's recital, "Uncle Bobby?" He gave a hum of acknowledgement, "Do you think Sam and Dean will make it to my recital?" He looked over, "If I know anything about those two, it's that they'll do everything for family. They'll be there," Bobby assured. "Okay," the rest of the drive home was silent.

When we got home, Blue was waiting and wanted to play outside. Bobby was hesitant to let us, well me, play outside, "I don't want you to get hurt or lost," he'd told me. All it took was the puppy eyes before he relented. "Just don't go to far and be careful," he warned before Blue and I took off out the door. I could hear his sigh before the door closed. Blue and I ran into the maze of abandoned cars and trucks, it didn't take long for the house to disappear from view. "Let's play hide and seek," Blue suggested. I'd never really played the game before, but it sounded entertaining enough. "You hide, and I'll count to twenty," Blue announced before he put his hands over his eyes. "One..." he started, I took that moment to look around before taking off to the left. It didn't take long for my run to slow as I came across a garage looking building, I decided to slip in there to hide. I didn't get past the doorway when I saw it. Dad's truck... It was a bit dusty, but other than that it was just like the last I'd seen it. I slowly closed the door behind me after I'd flicked a light switch. The keys were hung up on a pegboard, Dad always had a little keychain that I got him, it was a wolf. The closer I got to the truck, the more my chest ached, tears welled up as well. I grabbed the door handle to the drivers side and sniffled when it opened. I crawled into Dad's seat, I left the truck door open as I hugged my knees. That's when I decided to let the tears fall.

It took a while for Blue to find me. I think the only reason he had found me was because he heard me. I wasn't sure how long I'd been in Dad's truck. "Let's go back inside," Blue suggested after a bit of consoling, I nodded through a sniffle and wiped my nose with my sleeve. Bobby was on the phone when we walked in, "I'm just sayin' you two better be there!" He was saying, tone a bit harsh, "She wants you two there," that's when Bobby noticed me. "I'll call you back," was all he said as he put the phone back on the wall. "What's wrong? What happened? Did you hurt yourself?" Bobby questioned as he rushed over. I only cried louder, raising a shaky hand to wipe my eyes. He picked me up and put me on the edge of the counter, "Hey," his voice was softer now that he was satisfied that I wasn't hurt. "What's wrong?" I sniffled and wiped at my face with my sleeve. "T-r-uck," I managed through gaspy breaths. A look of realization came over his face, "You found you're Daddy's truck?" I nodded and sniffled again. Bobby moved away and started to shuffle around the kitchen. He eventually put a coffee mug in the microwave beside me and turned it on. "Why don't we go sit in the living room and watch that movie you like?" I nodded my head again shakily and Bobby put me on the floor and held my hand as we went into the living room. Bobby went back into the kitchen and came back with a mug of hot chocolate and we watched Harry Potter for the rest of the day.

It was Saturday morning and the boys still hadn't showed up. I was in Bobby's truck wearing the pink outfit Miss Crystal has given us all to wear while we were on stage. As we pulled up, I could see plenty of the others wearing it to. That made me feel a bit better. I hated the color pink and wearing all pink was even worse. Bobby and I followed the other girls to the auditorium, where Miss Crystal was talking with a woman who was sitting at the piano, wearing the same outfit as we were. Blue was already standing next to a bunch of chairs, he and I helped Bobby find his seat, there were three seats with my name on them for my guests. I hoped Sam and Dean would show up... I went over to Miss Crystal after Bobby sat down, she was pleased that I was there, "Just go backstage, through that door over there, and I'll be there in a moment," she gestured to a door. So that's where I went, a few of the girls were already there stretching their legs. I decided to do the same, plopping myself down on the floor to reach for my toes. It didn't take long for Miss Crystal to find her way in the room with everyone else. There were only about fifteen of us total, varying in ages. I was pretty sure that I was the youngest the class had to offer. "Okay, so is everyone dressed?" She called over us, there's was a chorus of 'yes's around the room. "Christina, come here and let me do your hair real quick," Miss Crystal called as she picked up a little make-up bag and picked a thing of ponytails out of it. I got up off of the floor and walked over to her, she ran a brush through my hair for a bit before putting it in a ponytail and then transformed it into a bun. "There," she announced as she finished. "Now let's stretch so we don't get a cramp," Miss Crystal instructed as she backed away from me to stand front and center. We all got in our rows like we did before every practice and mimicked the stretches she did. We did that for about ten minutes before it was time to start. We all walked onto the stage in a line, still hidden behind the curtain, and got into our positions. I could hear everyone talking, all fell silent as the piano started playing. The curtains opened and we started to dance, my eyes fell onto Bobby and the three empty seats beside him. I felt another pang in my chest, but I wanted to at least make Bobby proud. Besides, Sam and Dean were probably doing something important, like saving people. So, I danced like we'd practiced and I think that I did a pretty good job of keeping up with the other girls. Near the end of the performance, I looked back at Bobby. I couldn't help the smile that crept into my face as I saw that the other two seats were filled. We all did one final spin in unison, finishing the show.