Chapter 22

Sorry, it has been such a long time. My computer broke and I just got it fixed. This is a really long chapter, so if you want to skip anything, you can skip the Romanian, it doesn't have any real significance I just really liked it. I really hope you enjoy.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"What the hell do you mean he's coming on patrol?" The younger Bat yelled, turning fully towards the man, a glare firmly on his face, anger and disbelief hiding the surprise at the near casual comment.

"I mean I am going to take him with us tonight to see how he does. I had planned this a long time ago and was going to do it but then everything came up, so we're doing it now." Bruce said calmly. He, too, turned towards the other. They were both sitting at the kitchen table, Danny still sleeping (hopefully), Dick had been bent over a bowl of cereal and Bruce reading a book, however both activities were abandoned in favor of the conversation.

"You can't possibly think that's a good idea. Bruce, he's already been through a lot, you want to add fighting crime to that extensive list of things that give him nightmares? Because, if you haven't noticed, Gotham's crime isn't very pretty." Bruce sighed, finally placing down the book he was reading and leaning forward, folding his hands on the table and leaning his weight on his elbows.

"We have to go back. With everything that has happened recently, we haven't been on patrol in weeks, and we have to go back at some point. And Danny has to come because there is nowhere else he can go, he's safer with us than alone here. Besides, based on what he's seen, do you really think seeing a mutilated corpse or someone trying to kill him is really going to affect him? Dick, he's too far gone to be scared of that type of stuff." Dick glared for a moment longer before sagging in defeat.

"Yeah, I guess, but-"

"But you don't want to risk his life now that you just got him back. I get it. I don't want him to be at risk either, but this is the best option. It could teach him how to fight back better, could protect him in the future." If possible, Dick deflated even further.

"Fine. But he stays with us. No testing him by having him go ahead of us, no letting him scope something. He is with us." Bruce chuckled.

"Understood. But when he's trained a bit better, we will have to split up. But for now, he stays with us."

"What are you talking about?" a small, hesitant voice spoke up from behind Bruce. The man didn't falter when he turned around in his chair and picked the boy up and placed him into the seat next to Dick. The teen in question had spilled milk from his cereal all over his lap when he jumped at the abrupt appearance. Danny, seeing the mess, looked dryly at his brother.

"I thought you were 'fearless'." Dick looked up and sent a light glare over to the boy as he mopped up the liquid off his pants.

"I'm not afraid, you startled me. Who wouldn't be startled when a small child appears out of nowhere?" Without a beat, Danny glared back at the 'small child' part before pointing over to Bruce, who was clearly amused, at the two.

"He doesn't count. He's unshakable." Before Danny could respond, Bruce cut in.

"Not 'unshakable' just observant." Turning to Danny, he stated, "have you been working on your English? You sound a lot better." While he still had a thick accent and some words were mispronounced, he was talking in complete thoughts and sentences. Danny shifted and avoided his gaze before he nodded. Bruce and Dick narrowed their eyes in suspicion.

"What did you do?" Dick asked.

"I didn't know how else to learn," Danny mumbled, looking at his lap.