Chapter Nineteen: Let's Take a Walk

Start from the beginning

            “Good evening to you, too,” he said shortly and tightened his hold on my waist. “Where are the King and Queen?”

            She batted her eyelashes at him. “They’re in the study. They’re talking about… whatever they usually talk about.”

            He nodded. Then the both of us stepped in the household. For the first time, the brunette vampire noticed me. Instantly, her eyes narrowed jealousy at me.

            I blinked. What the hell did I do to her? “Um, hi,” I told her.

            She started glaring at me and I winced. Oka-ay, there’s something wrong with this vampire chick. No ordinary being can just glare at someone just because they’re with someone who is really, really handsome, right?

            Garret and I walked to the living room and both of us sat on the sofa. The brunette vampire followed behind us. “Would you like anything to eat, Mr. Stone?” she asked sweetly.

            “Later. Would you call the King and Queen? I have something important to tell them.”

            “Sure,” she said and flashed him one last flirty smile before she walked off.

            I sighed angrily. “What a bitch! She started glaring at me!”

            He laughed and tapped my nose affectionately. “She’s just jealous because you’re with me.”

            I stared at him. “Do you still like me living here? I mean, I’m sure that maid is just one of the people who are heads over heels for you. And I’m also sure that they’re going to glare at me the whole day because I’m a human and I made you fall in love with me whereas they’re vampires and vampires are supposed to be more better-looking than humans and—.”

            “Hey, hey, slow down,” he interrupted, placing his index finger on my lips. “There’s only one maid. And that’s Bernice, the brunette girl. No one works for the King and Queen except her and their driver, Julio. Besides, Bernice only stays during Monday, Wednesday and Friday.” Then he smiled at me charmingly. “And I need to correct you, Melanie. You didn’t make me fall in love with you. I made myself fall in love with you. It wasn’t you, it was me. It was my decision to love you, okay? And there wasn’t ever a rule that says vampires are supposed to be better-looking than humans. Some humans are better-looking than vampires.” He kissed me softly on the lips. “You’re more beautiful than Bernice. You’re more beautiful than Roxanne or Xayranne or the Queen. Heck, you’re even more beautiful than my mother.”

            I suddenly laughed. “I’m sure your mother wouldn’t be happy when she hears that.”

            He flashed me a grin. “I’m sure she wouldn’t be.”

            “Garret! Melanie!” a familiar female voice called out.

            Garret and I stood up and turned to Lillian. He smiled at her as she hugged him. “Hi, Lillian.”

            “Garret, what are you doing here?” she asked when she let go of him. “It’s Wednesday and a school day! And, Melanie, aren’t you suppose to be back in Chicago?” She looked at me worriedly. “We told you to forget everything about vampires, remember?”

            I smiled sheepishly. “It seems like it’s hard to do that now.”

            “What do you mean?”