Chapter 8

By the time we were done, it's four pm and Zane was pretty much cooperative, giving us enough time to research more on our topic using the resources available. I pack my bag and head out of the library with Zane behind me.

I turn on my phone only to find a message-from my mum.

Mum: Sorry C. Had an emergency and I think it's gonna take all night. Catch the bus home, okay? 

I turn my phone off and sigh. Great, the last bus' left and Ellie's gone home. I could call her but she's having dinner at her cousin's home and I don't want to intrude on family time. I guess I'll have to walk home today.

The clouds are grey but no sign of rain. If I walk back home quickly, I may just get home before it starts. I walk out of the school gates and start my walk back home. 

It seems sometimes even nature becomes so angry at you that it destroys your plans with just one shower...and it's so heavy. I'm completely drenched but that didn't stop me from walking. Something is following me but I don't turn see it until the horn of the car blare loudly. That's when I come face to face with Zane. The window of driver side comes down and he's staring at me.

"Come on, let me take you home." he states bluntly.

"No, I'm fine." I lied. I'm crossing arms over my chest.

"And you think I'm going to leave you like this-"

"Yes-"

"No! Just get into the car-"

"I will not." I stare at him and continue walking. I hear someone gets out of the car and walks after me. The rain stops pouring down on me. I turn and find Zane with an umbrella that's covering us both in his hand. "Why won't you give up and let me walk home?"

"In this rain? Not a chance...and I'm not gonna let you get a cold."

"Why?"

He shrugs and looks at me with a smirk on his face. "I don't want to risk my grade because my project partner is called in sick. Is that convincing enough for you?"

"Kinda..."

"So? Are you coming?"

"Okay!" I say in a defeated tone. He smirks again and walks me towards the passenger seat of his black Buick LaCrosse. After sitting, I hear his side of his car open and he places the umbrella in the back and pushes his curly hair away from his face. He sighs. The engine is revved and the car begins moving through the wet streets.

"Why the hell would you walk under the rain?"

"And why the hell would you offer to give me a lift?"

"Would you just answer my question first?" he says in a frustrated voice.

"Not until you answer mine." The look in his eyes, like he gives in. 

"I couldn't watch you walk under the rain and get a cold or fever. I'm not some heartless jerk that'll leave you walking back home. Can you even see the magnitude of the rain?" I laugh. "So why did you walk under the rain?" I stare back at him and shrug. 

"I just felt like it." And that was the truth. I wanted to walk back home even in the rain.

"Okay-" I sneezed. 

"Are you okay?" He's face is full of concern. His eyes switch between me and the road ahead.

"Yeah...I'm-" Achoo. 

"Sorry about that. Let me just put on the heater," he states putting on the heater and boy does that feel good. "Is it okay now?"

"Yeah...thanks"

The rest of the drive is in silence which is kind of comfortable. I describe my home to him where he parks in front of. The rain's stopped so we both come down from the car together and I look back at him. 

"Where are you going?" I ask because I don't understand why he's following me.

"You have a cold," he places his hand on my forehead and brings it back down. "And you're hot. You need someone to take care of you-"

"I don't and I'm-" I sneeze. "Good point...." We walk to the front of the door and I unlock it, ushering him in. I tell him I want to change and he nods.

I change from my wet clothes into a pair of sweatpants and a knitted long sleeve sweater. I walk down to find Zane with a mug of hot tea, a cup of water and flu medicine sitting on the counter. I sit on the chair close to the island and swallow the flu medicine with the cup of water, facing him opposite me. 

"Thanks for the tea-"

"Hey, no problem. I just want you to be fine, okay?" I look up from the mug in front and give him a smile. In no time, I'm feeling sleepy and yawn. He smiles. 

"Thanks again. It was nice..."

"So you wanna go sleep?"

"Yeah." Truth is that I can't sleep without those pills. And without those pills, those dreams will resurface. 

"I-I'll just be on my way out-" he stuttered.

"Yeah...thanks."

"No need to thank me C. It was my pleasure. Tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, the project."

"But if you need time to rest, I'll just come over tomorrow..."

"Let's see how it goes." 

He picks his keys off the kitchen counter and walks out of the door. I'm standing close to the door and watch him get into his car. He waves at me and I do same, watching him reverse out of my driveway. I shut the door behind me and walk back to my room.

I pull my first drawer open and pick up my sleeping pill and place on my dresser. I'm contemplating whether I should take it or not. I look at it and decide to place it back into the drawer. I fall back on my bed and drift into sleep...slowly but peaceful.