XIV

Winter.

The next day I managed to get Mason to stay with Beth, Carol, Sophia and Judith, while I did my little jobs around the prison. I helped fortify the walls and gates, making small barriers for the next attack. I could see Daryl walking around with another man, who I assumed was Merle. I tried my best to stay clear of them, but I knew it wouldn't last long.

"Whooo-wheee, now she's a looker." I hear someone say from behind me. I turn slightly to see Merle and Daryl coming up to me, Daryl fuming.

"Yeah, not interested." I say as I continue to work on the fence, piking zombies whenever it was needed. "Don't need no man anymore."

"Heh, I heard ya use ta have ma baby brother wrapped around ya pretty lil' finger." He chuckles. "If ya got bored of him, I don't mind filling in for 'im."

"Yeah, no. All I want now is my son. So hard pass." I hiss out.

"Merle, just leave her alone." Daryl grunts. "Just making it worse."

"Nah. This is too good to pass up." Merle chuckles darkly.

"Oh, really?" I smirk darkly back before tossing my hunter's knife in the air and catching it with the blade facing down in my hand. "And now?"

"Yeah, that's so scary, darlin." He chuckles again. I glance at Daryl before lunging forward and slicing at Merle's forearm. "Ouch, damnit!"

"Don't go after a girl ya can't handle." I hiss out as I hear the wolves start growling as they make their ways over. Rusty growls the loudest as she stands between me and the brothers. Her pups, now fully grown, flank her as they take protective stances around me. "Stay away from me, my kids, and my family. Both'a ya."

I call the wolves off before I storm off to the prison with the four wolves behind me. Rusty nudges my leg when I stop, and the other three disperse to go find the kids, to protect them. I pat her head as I go to my cell. She lowers her ears as she sees my sadness.

"I hate that he still has an influence on me." I growl out. She lowers her head before hopping up next to me. "You and the others need to make sure that neither of those two get anywhere near me, the kids, Maggie, Glenn, Carol, Hershel or Beth. Okay? Can you do that for me, Rusty?"

She bows her head before she heads off, probably to go keep an eye on the two brothers. I decide to go out and check the perimeter again. I hear wailing on the other side of the fence, and dont hesitate to run off into the woods to try to help. When I find the wailing, I find a zombified man with a baby carrier on his back. I get angry, thinking something must've happened to the baby that was once there, and kill the zombie father. I kill any zombie that nears me or the zombie. I start to turn to walk away before the crying starts again, but softer, like whimpers. I make my way over and check the baby carrier to find a pretty baby girl, older than Baby Judith, but less than a year old. She looks up at me with striking blue eyes and auburn hair. I check her for bites and find marker on her stomach. 'My name is Kytyn.' Was written on her stomach. Her whimpers softened as she saw me, but increased more as I picked her up and took her away from her place on the ground. The zombie was obviously her father, and he had made a lure so that his zombified body wouldnt notice her or try to harm her. There was even a balloon that was deflated, but was obviously meant to keep her entertained. His wrists were tied and she had a pacifier tied to her shirt. I place it near her mouth where she happily takes it. I bounce her a bit to calm her down more before grabbing my weapons and heading back to the prison, mindful of her head as I duck through the hole in the fence, setting her down for a second to tie it back up before taking her into the prison. I hadn't bumped into anyone, and simply made my way into my cell, where Mason was sleeping. It was getting dark when I left, so it was normal to find all the kids already in bed, along with Hershel and possibly Carol and Beth. I place Kytyn on the bottom bunk, my bed, and head out after making sure she won't fall. I go to grab a cloth and wet it to wash the marker off before heading back to the cell. I enter to find Mason hanging upside down on the top bunk and Daryl holding Kytyn.

"Who's kid is this, Winter?" Daryl asks me curiously.

"She's a baby I found on the back of a zombified man. She was alone and he'd been deceased for maybe a few days. He had some precautions to make sure he wouldn't turn her. Her name is Kytyn. She's staying."

"I never said she wasn't." He looked at me, allowing me to take her as Mason stares at the three of us. I take of her pink shirt, tossing it to my bed before gently washing off the marker. "She's cute. Didn't know any better, I'd say she looks like you." He says, hovering over my shoulder.

"She has auburn almost red hair, and her eyes are blue, striking blue like yours, Daryl." I chuckle which causes Kytyn to giggle too. Mason smiles.

"Momma?" He asks, looking down at me from his bed.

"Yea Mason?" I answer, looking up at him before putting the baby's shirt back on and picking her up so her head rests on my shoulder. I rock her to sleep, still focusing on Mason, waiting for his question.

"Is she gonna be my little sister?" Mason asks as he rests his head on his hand. I chuckle, shaking my head. His smile turns to a frown slightly.

"Only if you want that, baby." I comb my fingers in his hair, lulling both kids to sleep. I set Kytyn on the bed, surrounded by pillows before turning to Daryl. "What are you still doing in my cell, Daryl?"

"I just..." He sighs before turning to the door. "I'll leave now."

"Okay." I nod before watching him walk out. I glance at the kids, seeing them sleep peacefully. I walk out after Daryl. "Daryl. Wait."

"What is it?" He turns to me slightly. I watch his hurt blue eyes.

"I kinda said some hurtful things, but you do need to realize that you aren't as alone as you think. You don't only have your brother as your last family. You have me and Mason, and now Kytyn. But you've messed up pretty bad." I tell him, crossing my arms, almost hugging myself.

"And I'm sorry. I should have stayed, me and Merle fought after I left, and I realized that I wanted to be here for Mason, for you when you got back. I love the both of ya so much. And it's never gonna stop." He sighs. "But I know Mason doesn't want me in his life anymore, and I respect that."

"He's a kid, if you explain your side of it, he'll get over it. He's a good kid, he knows that I wouldn't let you around him if it would cause him harm."