VI

Winter.

I woke up in my Dad's RV. Beside me was a sleeping Sophia with a sleeping Carol on her other side. I smile at the sight. I would protect these two for as long as I can. I take out a small notebook that held a mini calendar inside. Today was August 27.

Two more days. I think to myself.

"Did you ever have kids?" A voice asks from behind me. I look and see Carol, still laying in her spot, but her eyes were open, and locked on me.

"Did I ever have kids?" I repeat, making sure I heard her right. She nods. "Yeah. A little boy. He's turning 6 in two days."

"Where is he now?" She asks curiously.

"Don't know. I was best friends with his dad before we decided to try 'us' and then a year later I got pregnant. Had Mason when I was 20." I explain. "His dad became abusive towards me after Mason's 5th birthday. Threatened to harm him if I didn't leave. So I did, haven't seen him since. Zane, Mason's dad, was gonna raise him in his family's home. His family promised to make sure Zane never abused Mason."

"I'm sorry." Carol says, sympathy in her eyes. "I had an abusive husband in the beginning of this. He got killed a couple weeks ago at our old camp."

"Did he ever abuse Soph?" I ask her, moving some hair from Sophia's sleeping face.

"No. I never let him." She shakes her head. "I'm happy you saved her. I don't know what I would have done if she became one of them."

One of them. I thought. My son might possibly be one by now...

"I'm sorry. I'm sure he's alive." Carol says hopefully. I nod and we wait for Sophia to wake up. When she does we go outside with the group.

Hours passed and Daryl was stubbornly walking around, ignorant of Hershel's warnings about his stitches. When dinner came along, I grew tense when Glenn announced the walkers in the barn. That was why I left. I knew Hershel kept them there, blindingly hoping for a cure. When everyone ran to the barn, I held Sophia close to me. When Rick said he would talk to Hershel, I led Sophia and Carol back to Dad's RV. Dad was waiting outside it, looking concerned, worried, and sad. I hadn't talked to him all day. Carol took Sophia inside while Dad held me outside.

"You had a son?" Dad asks softly. "I... I'm a grandpa?"

"Did Carol tell you?" I ask. He nods and I sigh. "Yeah... His name was Mason Aaron Smith. He'd be turning 6 in two days."

"Did he..."

"I don't know... Zane threatened to hurt Mason if I didn't leave." I whisper. It was painful for me, not knowing if my baby was alive...

Next Day.

I wake up in the morning, ready to face the world, or what's left of it. I feel small arms around my waist. I look down to see it was Sophia. I look over her to find Carol gone. I was happy Sophia had her mom back. I was also happy that Carol was okay with how me and Sophia became close. She understood that I want to protect her daughter, and she understood I lost my kid. She has felt the beginning of that, but I am gonna make sure she doesn't feel the rest. I eventually wake up Sophia and we head out to eat. When we finish, we see Rick coming back with Hershel and Jimmy, Beth's boyfriend, they were with walkers. Preparing to put them in the barn. Shane got crazy and I noticed he had already passed out weapons to everyone. Including Carl and Sophia.

I growl under my breath as the group runs to the three men with walkers. I run after them, and place Sophia and Carol behind me as Shane shoots the walker to make a point.

"Shane! That's enough!" I shout at him. He glares at me before looking back at the walker.

"Your right! That is enough!" Shane yells, ending the walker with one shot. He yells at the three men before opening the barn doors and allowing the walkers to get out.

I keep Sophia behind me, shooting the walkers with the others. When we thought we were done, a tall muscular form walks from inside the barn, blood covering the from of the shirt. I look at the walker, remembering who it once was. Zane.

"Zane!!!" I scream, feeling tears, knowing Mason must be gone too. I rush to Zane's walker form, it growling at me. Daryl catches me before I even got halfway there. I collapse at his feet, sobbing. "No! No!!! He can't e dead! Mason can't be!!!"

"Shhh..." I hear Daryl whisper to me, holding me in place a I watch Rick end my ex's dead life. I sob louder as I realise my baby boy was dead. Zane was probably the walker to kill him.

"Mason!!!" I scream, punching the ground, seeing my knuckles become bloody.

"M-Momma?" A small voice echoes in the barn.

"Mason?!" I yell, tears sliding down my cheeks even more. Daryl holds me tighter. "Let me go! Let me go! He's in there!"

"M-Momma?!" The same voice asks louder, closer to the door. I watch as a small body emerges from the barn. Alive and looking muddy. "Is that you, Momma?"

"Mason!" I scream, prying Daryl's arms off before running through the dead walkers, and pulling my son closer. I don't even acknowledge when Beth is almost attacked by her mother's walker form, and Andrea saving her. "Baby, Momma's here... I'm never leaving you, baby..."

"Momma... Daddy... He... He..." Mason didn't get to finish. He had passed out against my chest, obviously malnourished, dehydrated, and exhausted.