17: Reunion

She could remember that smile- framed under a pair of intelligent eyes. It was the deadly combination that had made her fall so hard in the first place. So hard. Too hard.

Just as hard as it had hit her when she realised who he really was...that damn death eater she called a fiance.

Kate groaned, feverishly taking another sip of whiskey before placing the flask back down on the table with a loud bang.

Throat burning, she collapsed back into her seat, burying her head in her hands.

Don't try thinking about things that will just make you spiral further, idiot.

"Gone for the day, don't bother to knock...seriously," the sign pasted to her door simply stated.

Students walked by, befuddled by the absence of a teacher on Halloween. Many were joyous and kind and passing out candy, more than merry as they taught. Still, many were not necessarily surprised by Mavis' lack of effort and a caring attitude.

Hissing in agitation, she picked the bottle up again before pacing over to pause at the window.

The woman leaned on the windowsill- all candles out and drapes closed. The slivers of sunlight through the fabric was all that illuminated the room.

She stared emptily at the floor, flask in hand.

She just wanted to be alone.

Her heart ached, just like it did every year on Halloween since Leah died.

Her best friend. Her sister. Her rock.

She loved Leah Kendricks most, and she'd readily debate with Remus, Sirius, or anyone else willing. When Leah left Earth, so did Kate Mavis' soul. She felt pain every day, and due to what happened after the war, she was never able to grieve properly.

There was a soft knock on the door, causing Mavis to flinch. She pressed closer to the window, wishing she could escape. 

As she turned her head to lean on the window, the door clicked before opening. She didn't bother to look, she felt entirely numb.

And yet, somehow, at the same time, she was tired from grief.

"Kate..."

The voice was soft, yet it shook Kate Mavis to the core. Her eyes widened and her head whipped around to see the person she would've never expected to see.

Ever.

"And you were supposed to be the bright one yet you can't even read a sign," she said cooly, ignoring her pounding heart. "Remus, why are you intruding?"

The scarred man looked down, embarrassed by how disgusted she looked at him. "I...I heard you were back, so-"

"So what? You ruined my life, and I will never forgive you. Don't think that just because it's a vulnerable day that you can get me to agree to whatever you want-"

"But I-I am sorry-"

"I. Don't. CARE!" she screamed at him, throwing the bottle and just barely missing Remus' head. "I hate you! I hate how you ruined my life and how you left Leah-"

"Don't," he cut her off, his tone colder than cracked ice. "Don't ever accuse me of leaving her. She left me, you know that-"

Kate bit her tongue so hard the taste of rust pooled into her mouth.

"And that's why Pettigrew became their secret-keeper? You were always weak, no wonder why you two didn't last," she murmured, getting up to retrieve the flask. He merely watched her as she picked it up and took another swig. "So, why the hell are you here?"

"Like I said...to apologize-"

"I don't accept. Now is that all?"

Remus sighed and looked down. "You know it was Dumbledore's idea-"

"You shipped me off after I escaped as a prisoner of war!" she exclaimed, her eyes wild. "I was just betrayed by my fiance, my friends were killed, and my goddaughter had become orphaned! And I couldn't do ANYTHING!"

"Do you really think I wanted you gone?"