14: Under the Stars

"I'm telling her tonight," said Harry quickly as he sat across from Hermione and Ron for dinner. They both cocked an eyebrow.

"Mate, what're you on about?"

He leaned forward a bit and spoke softly. "I'm telling her that I'm in love with her and that I messed up. I can't do this anymore."

"Don't you think that's a bit unfair?" asked Hermione cautiously. "That it's on your own terms when things work out? You've turned her down-"

"Well, I'm not going to anymore."

"If I were her, I'd get revenge," muttered Ron as he put food onto his plate. When receiving a glare from the two, he rolled his eyes. "We all know how much she enjoys it-"

"She wouldn't do that," defended Harry. "She wants to be with me...there's something there, I just know it-"

"Hey guys!" said Anna cheerily, causing the raven-haired boy to jump from surprise.

He could feel Ron and Hermione's gazes on him. "H-hi Anna."

She didn't notice his skittish demeanour as she absentmindedly sat next to him, her thoughts drifting to the possibilities of that night when she would meet up with Caspar. Just about anything was possible since she had Harry's invisibility cloak. She'd taken it from his trunk before dinner. She didn't consider it stealing, just borrowing...and 'forgetting' to ask.

Anna stayed quiet for most of the meal, as Hermione and Ron led the conversation and Harry half-heartedly joined in, his mind also on other things. What would he say to Anna? How would she take it? Would the tension between them end? Would they last a long time?

When their plates were empty and so was the Great Hall for the most part, Anna bid them goodbye and left, only to have Harry catch up with her, taking her by the hand and stopping her. Her heart jumped a bit and she turned to face him. "What?"

He paused and gulped, looking at her like a deer in headlights. "I-I um, I really need to talk to you."

"Okay...?" Anna trailed off, but her eyes caught onto someone passing by: Caspar.

Her mood changed quickly and a smile spread across her face. She gingerly retracted her hand from Harry and gave a sympathetic look. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it can wait. I'm gonna go back to the common room and sleep, it's been a while, y'know-"

"It can't wait!" he said frantically, but she had already started to leave. "Anna, come back!"

"I'll see you later-"

"It's about us and I need to say it now!" exclaimed Harry, causing her to stop suddenly. A chill went up her spine. "Anna, we can't keep going on like this."

She turned yet again to face him and gave a kind smile. "We're fine, really. I get it, we're not getting together because you don't like me or the idea of us-"

"But I-"

"It's okay. I understand now and I'll never try to push for us to be in a relationship again, I promise," she said softly. "I'm gonna go...I'll see you later."

"Anna..." he trailed off sadly as she walked away. Harry's heart dropped and he felt hopeless.

He felt her pain, and he felt even more guilty than before.

~=~

Anna was bubbling with excitement as she made her way to the Ravenclaw tower and the seconds ticked closer and closer to midnight. Upon seeing Caspar standing just around the corner outside of the entrance. She was glad the eagle knocker wouldn't be able to see her when she became visible.