Chapter Twenty-Six

Thor had sent someone to clean up the mess. When they knocked at the door, I quickly hid the piece of glass in a drawer. I told them to wait a moment as I bandaged my arm.

"Come in," I said as I held my arm behind my back. A young woman came in with a broom. "I'm sorry. I can help if you want."

"Oh no," she said. "This is a minor mess compared to some of the feasts I have cleaned up after."

"Oh. Well, thank you. I didn't mean to make the mess. It just happened."

"It's alright, miss. I understand."

"You do?"

"Yes. I too have lost a loved one," she said as she swept.

"How did you know about that?"

"Oh," she stiffened. "Well, I actually saw you the day you two escaped. I didn't say anything since you were being escorted by Thor, but I saw the way you looked at each other. He held you in his arms and looked at you like you were the world. And I'm willing to bet that you were to him." She stood up, looking nervous. "I'm sorry, I should not have pried. Have a good day miss." She began to leave, but I stopped her by gently grabbing her shoulder. "Is something wrong?"

"No. I just... thank you. It means a lot, what you said."

"Anytime, miss." She smiled before turning away. She carefully shut the door behind her.

******

Thor had invited me to join them at dinner that night. I didn't want to be rude, but I also didn't want to be around people. I had been in a shitty mood since earlier that day, but I desperately needed some food. I was starving.

I didn't feel like changing, either. My clothes were a little disheveled, but I didn't have the energy to care.

As I walked out, I felt out of place. All of these people were happy and bright. I knew I stood out. It wasn't comforting.

I entered the dining hall, quickly spotting Thor and his friends.

"Lady Lilith!" Thor exclaimed. "Please, have a seat." He pulled out the chair next to him so I sat down. "Thank you for joining us."

"Hello, Lady Lilith," Sif said from his other side. "It's nice to see you again."

"You, too," I said quietly.

"So, you are the Lady Lilith!" a booming voice from a few seats down said. I turned to see a larger man devouring his meal smiling at me. "I am Volstagg. Nice to meet you!" I smiled and nodded respectfully but didn't say anything. He didn't seem to care since he continued his meal.

"I am Hogan," another man said. He was seated beside Sif. "It is a pleasure."

"It's nice to meet you too," I said nervously.

"And I," a sly voice said from behind me, "do believe we met briefly." I turned around to see none other than Fandral. "It is an honor to truly meet you." He grabbed my scarred hand and brought it to his lips. I fought the urge to smack him.

He pulled up a chair beside me. I caught Sif rolling her eyes.

He made random flirtations through the night, but I think it was just his awful attempt to cheer me up. Or just to get some sort of reaction out of me.

The feast was coming to an end and people began to slowly file out of the large hall. Everyone else was finished eating, but I still had a majority of mine left. I didn't plan on finishing it, but I didn't exactly want them to notice. I felt bad for being wasteful. After all, I had been so hungry before, but I suddenly lost my appetite.

I began to leave the table but was stopped. "Leaving so soon?" Thor asked.

"Oh, um, yeah. I'm pretty tired," I told him. He nodded understandingly but Sif gave me a strange look.

"You hardly touched your food. Is everything alright?" she asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm... I'm just going to go now," I replied awkwardly. I rushed away and glanced back. I saw Sif excuse herself from the table and begin walking towards me. I knew she was trying to help, but I didn't want to talk right now.

I sped up my pace and rushed back to Loki's room. I quickly locked the door behind me. I let out a deep breath before crashing on the bed.

"Lilith, are you in there?" Sif asked from outside. "I only wish to speak to you." I felt guilty but I said nothing. "I know you are in there, but I also understand that you might not be ready to talk. When you are, I will be here for you. Just come find me. Alright?" I stayed silent. "Goodbye, Lilith."

I heard her walk away as I crawled into the covers. I just wanted to be alone, away from everyone. I felt awful, but I just wanted to rot away in peace rather than drag everyone down with me.