Chapter Seven

"He kissed your hand?!" Elisa squealed. I rolled my eyes at her. "Aww, that's so cute!"

"I'm sure he does that to every woman he greets. It's no big deal."

"No big deal? Hello! It's Thor. He's super hot."

"He's okay, I guess. Besides, isn't he with that Jane lady?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." She got off of her bed and sat next to me on mine. "So, what did you do yesterday?"

"I learned how to change my outfit by magic." Her face lit up.

"Magic? Like, legit magic? Uh, show me!" I stood up and stepped away. I had practiced a few times while she was sleeping so it was easier this time. In the blink of an eye, the flames had returned, and my outfit had changed. "Woah. That's amazing! And you look really cute in that outfit." She looked at the clock before looking back at me. "I gotta go. See you later?"

"I have to go after class."

"That's okay. We can catch up later. Bye!" Elisa grabbed her bag and rushed out. I got ready for my classes and left not long after.

******

"Good, you remembered," Alma said as she saw me step out of the elevator. "Sometimes we get someone who panics and doesn't remember the location or something."

"It wasn't that hard."

"Good. Now, today we're gonna do an obstacle course." I made a confused face. "In the air. To practice flying, of course. You never know when you'll have to fly through some crazy crap. Come on."

She guided me through the halls once again. This time, I didn't need her to drag me along. I was getting to know these hallways and passages. I guess that's good, since I'd be spending a lot of time here.

When we got to the courtyard, I looked up to see a floating obstacle course. Other Valkyries were flying through, some going through with ease, others weren't so great. I saw Alma take off next to me so I followed. She gave me a quick run-through of the course once we got up there. She went through it to give me a demonstration.

She was better than all of the others, not hitting a single thing. It was amazing to see how her wings maneuvered through different obstacles. I couldn't wait to learn to fly like that.

Alma finished the course and hovered next to me. She caught her breath before speaking. "So, how was that?"

"That was amazing! How am I supposed to do that?"

"Practice. Come on, let me show you." She guided me through basic wing maneuvers and let me try them before trying the real thing. "Alright, I think you're ready."

"What? For the course?" She nodded. "I... I don't think... I'm not ready for that."

"Don't be silly. I'll be right here. Besides, if you mess up, you can learn from it."

"Okay." I took a deep breath in. "Okay. Yeah. I can do this." But deep down, something told me I couldn't. There was a weight in the back of my mind, nagging and telling me that I couldn't, that I wasn't ready.

Then, the feeling formed a voice. A male voice, which was strange. "You aren't ready for this yet. Don't do it." I shook my head.

I'll be fine, I reassured myself before flying up to the start of the course.

"You've got this!" I heard Alma say. I closed my eyes and took in another deep breath.

"Don't. It won't end well."

I opened my eyes and whispered to myself, "Shut up."

"Ready, set... Go!" I took off as fast as I could. I flew through floating rings that were followed by tunnels. The tunnels were dark, but bright enough to see. There was just barely enough room for my wings.