Chapter Twenty

I had lost track of time. I didn't even know how long I had been trapped in this miserable hell hole. I was as bored as ever when I heard a loud noise from somewhere down the hall.

What was that?

"I don't know." I could hear Loki tossing his ball up and down. He was lucky to have his hands. Mine were still stuck in their metal domes, meaning I still had to eat like an animal. I could feel it on my face, too. I hated it, but I couldn't do anything about it.

All of a sudden, everything became complete and utter chaos. Prisoners were running down the halls and fighting the guards. I didn't bother getting up.

Out of all the prisoners, one stood out to me. He was exceedingly tall. He moved slowly through the crowd. He stared at me as he walked by. I guessed he was the instigator of all this. I apparently wasn't worth his time. He moved past me and towards Loki's cell. Something about the way he walked struck me as menacing.

Loki, who is that?

"Who?" He paused. "Oh. I do not know, darling." My heart fluttered when he called me that. He had never done it before.

What's he doing?

"Just... staring." Staring? I was confused. What if he freed Loki? I prayed that he did, but my hopes were wrong. "He's gone now."

Weird. My stomach grumbled loudly. Fuck.

"What?"

I'm hungry.

"Do you not have food?"

No, I do. That's kind of the problem.

"Why?" I hadn't told Loki about the nightmares. I didn't like talking about them. "Lilith?"

I ignored him out as I slowly ate the scraps.

Couldn't they at least drug me with food that tastes good? I wasn't sure if Loki heard that part, but I didn't care. I felt the numbness taking over. I tried to keep my eyes open, but it was no use. Sleep enveloped me.

******

"I'm back!" I yelled into the black abyss. "Anyone home?" Thanos usually showed up by now. "Hello?" I was surprised, but not sad. Definitely not sad. I decided to take this opportunity to move around. I knew it wasn't likely to affect my real body, but I needed to move around someway or another. I ran around the dark space. It felt fantastic to finally run. The air shoved its way through my bouncing hair.

I felt free.

All of a sudden, a surge of power shot me across the space. Pain shot through me as I clutched onto the side I had landed on. The ever silent room grew loud with screams. Not just any screams, I realized, but Loki's. His pain surged through me like a wave in the ocean.

"Loki?" I felt his suffering. "Loki?" I lay on the ground, still holding my side. Suddenly, my body went into spasms. I felt like I was suffocating. The pain too much. I couldn't handle it.

******

I sat up with a gasp. I blinked quickly as my vision focused. I shifted against the wall and tried to sit up a little. My back was sore, so it cracked with every movement. I hissed through my teeth.

"Lilith? Are you awake?" Loki sounded upset.

Yes. What's wrong, Loki?

"I... I can't..."