Underwater (Genderbent Ariel x Reader)

Readers POV

I sit on the sand, digging my fingers through the warm and yellowish substance that coats the edge of the ocean. My tail flaps at the edge of the lazy waves, my ears are trained for any sign or notice of activity. It was peaceful to be on land, not like the hectic wars of hell going on beneath the mirrored surface. A bird chirps somewhere in the distance, it's song ricocheting off walls and bouncing down towards your relaxed form.

Watching the evening sunset set had become a favourite past time. The oranges and Reds swirling into one another as if they were one. A beautiful thing truly and one that could never be seen yet again below the waves. Just thinking of returning to the hidden Atlantis sends a shiver down my spine. What I would pay to spend a day up on the sand... permanently(Yes I just quoted the movie. Don't judge)

In my moment of contentment I didn't see the red headed merman prince working his way along on the shore. Searching for his forbidden love the Princess Erica. He spends the evening on a rock far away but close enough the watch the darling human that he saved from a shipwreck. But it's when he spots the familiar shape of a mermaid tail perched upon the sand that he becomes not frightened. But extremely unsure. His eyebrows raise and my heart beat quickens. It was no secret that my feelings flurried at the sight of the prince but seeing him up here... it made me... it brought butterflies to my stomach.

"What are you doing up here?!" He shout-whispers. His eyes panicked as he searches the shore for sign of humans. He bites his lip before swimming closer. I don't move. I simply watch flicking your beautiful tail back and forth while playing with the sand contently. He looks at me again and a rush of excitement comes through. "I'm enjoying the shore. Is it forbidden sire?" My  tone was sarcastic and innocent. The perfect mixture to confuse the boy. "It's..." he pauses when his eyes fall on something else. He hisses obscenities beneath his breath and gestures for you to move. "Into the water! We don't have time to swim just hide the tails!" I looked back to see figures getting closer. If I moved they would see my tail so instead I frantically cover it up with sand. In quick succession, my tail looked like legs buried beneath the pale sand. The prince nodded with approval, he too made sure his tail was hidden beneath the waves while he acted as if he was a person, swimming in the beach.

As the figures drew closer it appeared to be the Princess Erica, but beside her travelled a new fellow. A blonde haired man.

With a crown.

And legs.

This was when the Princes face fell, his eyes darkened and the atmosphere changed for the worse. The two royals approached the pair of merpeople, searching for some casual talk. The Princess Erica whipped her dark hair over a shoulder while she grabbed her... friends arm. He smiled a white smile and placed a hand on hers. "Beautiful day, isn't it?" Erica looks between the two merfolk with a broad smile. The Prince was getting sour. So it was my job to uphold the peace.

"Fantastic, the sunrise is magnificent" I look at her and nod, praying to the heavens she doesn't notice the shell bra on my chest. Or the fact my tail was buried and I was staring at a guy half submerged, topless in water. The man beside the Princess nods. "One of many works of God, we must be off. Enjoy your swim!" He waves us farewell and Princess Erica calls over her shoulder, "Don't stay too long!! Ive seen odd people swim here late at night"

Prince Arian, visibly swallows.

Once their eyes were out of sight, he swivelled around and dived into the ocean. It took me a bit longer attempting to get out of the weight of the sand. Eventually I did it though and after crawling to the salty water I managed catch up the merman prince. "Your majesty?" I say lowly he doesn't give me a single glance. He stays swimming. His face plain and unreadable, but disappointment was clear in his motives.