Chapter 16: Daddy's Girl

Start from the beginning

Cassie sat between her parents once again, maintaining the coziness. She looked up at her father to see a very different facial expression. He had a stone cold expression, while his eyes were a mix of anger, sadness, and despair. Cassie felt afraid for a moment before her father looked down at her. He smiled at her reassuringly as he gave her repeated kisses on the top of her head while placing his hand on her shoulder, Cassie snuggling in his embrace.

Soon after, they were at their stop in front of the house. As soon as they stepped foot in the house, Angie said the same thing she would always say each time she would come home from work.

"Thank you, Jesus, for getting us home safe."

"Amen to that," Austin replied lowly.

Cheyenne came down the stairs and smiled excitedly when she saw Cassie.

"Cassie, hi!" Cheyenne greeted, as she rushed over to give Cassie a hug. Cassie hugged back, tears almost welling in her eyes.

"Where's C.J.?" Angie wanted to know.

"Rashawn's," Cheyenne deadpanned. "After all, Friday Night Smackdown's on, plus the Lakers are playing today."

"Ooh, that boy just irks me!" Angie hissed, making a fist with her left hand.

"Ang, leave him alone, babe," Austin spoke up, with a dull tone. "I'm gonna go shower now."

With that, Austin went up the stairs, leaving the three of them alone in the living room.

"Leave C.J. alone? That's new," Cheyenne spoke up.

Cassie felt the pain arise in her stomach once more at the fact that something was really wrong with her father, and she can't help but blame herself.

"U--Umm..." Angie stammered out before rummaging through her purse, taking out two twenties and handing them to Cheyenne.

"Look, order Chinese, 'cause I ain't cooking nothing, and I'm sure that the leftovers aren't that attractive anymore, so I gotta throw them out," Angie directed Cheyenne.

"Mama, is Daddy alright?" Cassie asked, twisting her hair in anxiety.

"He'll be fine, honey," Angie replied. "You have no place to worry about anything, I'm gonna go check on him, alright?"

Cassie nodded as Angie rushed up the stairs.

"Come on, let's go upstairs, I think AFV's on right now," Cheyenne said, gesturing to the stairs. "I bet Mom wouldn't mind if we eat in our room."

Cassie only nodded as she followed Cheyenne up the stairs, still remembering the look of sadness on her father's face. It was a certainty that he wouldn't be fine any time soon.

*********************************************************************************************

Early Wednesday Morning

Cassie laid in her bed, staring off into the ceiling, while Cheyenne slept soundly. For some reason, she couldn't catch any sleep because of the recurring thoughts of the moments leading up to her suicide attempt in her mind. She looked at her phone rested on her bedside table as she felt a pain in the pit of her stomach, still anticipating new texts from Simone and Ashley. But then again, her parents did swear up and down that she wouldn't have to worry about them anymore because they were sure to take care of it.

She checked the time to see that it was a quarter to one in the morning. She hadn't slept a wink since she went to bed at ten o'clock earlier on. This was happening to Cassie ever since she came home from the hospital.