chapter 25 - Fired

“Good morning.”

“Good morning”, I responded to Ayaan as he sat down for breakfast.

“Let’s go out for dinner tonight”, he said and smiled. I nodded.

I didn’t know what to make of it. Whether I should be happy or scared. I thought that it probably was another thing that he would do to hurt me. Nothing good had come out of our marriage and the fruit that I thought I had almost grabbed, was moving further away from me. After finishing my work for the day, I went to my room and crashed on my bed. My phone was next to my pillow and it almost felt like his diary was screaming out to me. I grabbed it and read the next entry.

I must say that I’m impressed. The beast is molding Safa into an acceptable being. I had my doubts at first but it convinced me to give it a chance and it did not disappoint me.
We had an agreement that if I allowed it to tame Safa, it would suppress itself and so it lived up to it’s end of the bargain. Perhaps, marrying Safa wasn’t a mistake. Would my Marwa accept me and the beast the way Safa did? I doubt so. After all, the ugliest face have the most beautiful heart.
Safa's desperation made me empathetic and reciprocate the love. Everyone deserve to be loved no matter how ugly. She came into my life when I was lonely, even though I didn’t want her.
I will be there for her.

I felt a pang in my chest, I could almost feel his pain when he wrote that. He was all alone here and I could barely imagine how he survived for years by himself.

All my life I had been insecure about my looks but to get a confirmation, that too from the man that I loved was extremely painful. He referred to Marwa as though she belonged to him and I had goosebumps. I couldn’t let him get to her and I quickly called Marwa.

“Are you alright?”, she sounded worried and sleepy.

“Yes I’m fine. How are you doing?”, I wanted to start off casually.

“Seriously? You called me to kill time? I freaked out when I saw your call. It’s 1 am here”, she sounded sleepy. Or rather I noticed it when she mentioned the time.

“I’m so sorry. Text me when you’re up.”

“It’s alright. You anyways ruined my sleep. So what’s up. Did the sun rise from the West today that my sister called me?”, she giggled. She was so innocent and loving, no wonder Ayaan was attracted to her.

“I was a little worried about you. Have been missing you lately.”

“Awwh. I miss you too.”

“Anyways, have you been texting or talking to Ayaan?”

“Sometimes. Actually jiju texts often but I don’t respond everytime. It was fine at first but it got very uncomfortable later. Did jiju say something? Sorry that I’m not responding to him as much”, she said and did sound sorry. I was glad that she was avoiding him but also hurt that he had the time to talk to Marwa but not to his own wife with whom he lived.

“You don’t have to be sorry. Talk to him only when necessary and I need every single detail.”

“Aah! Someone is jealous.”

“Ok you please complete your important  task of resting your eyes for several hours. I will call you later”, I said and disconnected the call before she could say anything. I wish I could tell her how much I was jealous but more than that, worried for her.

**********

She failed to fill my void. The beast does a better job. I provide her with food and shelter and this is how she repaid me. Oh how much I missed the beast.
I have stopped the medication to feel alive again. She was at my mercy and it felt fuckin great. Her trying to escape the coffin, was music to my ears and then it suddenly stopped. It was upset and wanted to hear her scream and plead, but my body twitched and heart beats raced.
Were these the signs of worry? Perhaps they were.