Playing Nice

"Dixie?" Asher felt her body start to shut down at the panic of a foreign object. She began to collapse forward, the force between her end of the arrow and the crossbow shoving the projectile deeper into her flesh. Daryl threw down his bow and lurched forward to catch her before more damage occurs. As he moved to catch Asher, Merle moved to cover them both and keep an eye on the strangers.

"Ah ah ah, don't be gettin cocky on me now. Don't go ruining the good thing we got going on." Merle slipped a gun from his waistband and cocked it back to have a weapon on them both. "What happened, brother?"

"Looks like she got herself with one of those makeshift arrows we made. She ducked too quick. We need to remove it right now or she'll die." This jolted both men into reacting.

"We got some bandages and stuff back in camp. We can bring you guys and get her some help."

"Not fer all the money in the world will I be following you two assholes anywhere. You're the reason she's hurt in the first fucking place." The white man snorted loudly and rolled his eyes off into the trees in annoyance.

"Ain't our fault she can't watch where she's going like a little moron." Daryl growled and glared as Merle did the same. Ain't nobody gonna say a bad thing about Asher. Not ever again. Not while they lived and breathed.

"You watch your damn mouth, asshat." The man snorted again and smirked but kept quiet, it'd be best not to pick a fight with a pair of psycho rednecks. Daryl disregarded the duo and focused his full attention on Asher in his arms.

"Hey, you gotta keep those pretty eyes open for me. Come on, let me see 'em." She slowly forced her eyes to flutter open and wander lazily around until she finally focused on the softly smirking male and his grassy green eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"I know I'm not mad, sweetheart. But you have to stay awake, okay. Can you do that for me?" Asher softly nodded and forced her gaze to focus on his features for as long as possible.

"We ain't got time for you to be doting, you gotta dress that wound so we can get away from these chumps."

"I can't, man. This is a two-man operation if we want to do this the right way. As much as it tastes shitty to say this, but we may have to follow them to their camp. She'll die without it." Merle ground his teeth in a rage before slowly lowering his weapons in a much hated surrender. Asher needed him to play nice at least for a few days or weeks if he must.

"Fine, but this is only for her, if you so much as look at them in a way I don't like, I'll kill you all. Comprendo?" The two lazily agreed and the three quickly packed up so they could follow the men to their camp and to Asher's rescue.

"Dixie, can I go to sleep yet? I'm so tired." They reached a deep valley and the camp they spoke of in the very bottom.

"Not yet, sweetheart, but soon I promise just keep looking at me." They were just inside eyeshot of the camp, some of the other armed men running out to meet them in case there needed to be force used.

"Where's Merle?" The said man answered her question for her as they moved closer to the oncoming men, his fingers itching to yank out his gun and open fire. But Asher needs this so he fought the urge.

"I'm right behind ya, I ain't goin nowhere." The group didn't slow down, forcing the others to get filled in and walk at the same time.

"What happened? Who are these people?" This came from a scrawny Asian teen only a few years older than Asher herself.

"They're new members for now and what happened doesn't matter we need to get her somewhere clean and flat right now. Dale! Is the RV empty?" An elderly man with a scruffy beard and an old safari hat waved back then shouted that a Lori and Carl may be in there but nobody else. The burly man nodded and yanked open the door before speaking to this Dale guy again.

"Don't let anyone in, no matter what. This may get hairy. You two come with me. Put her on the table." The small table was quickly cleared off and the bleeding girl laid on her side softly. The burly man from the woods stepped forward to yank the arrow out, stopped when Daryl and Merle jumped in his way.

"Are you a fucking moron? That'll do more harm than good going out the wrong way. The best way out is through. What do you guys even have for bandages?" He was handed a thin tool of medical gauze and an even thinner roll of medical tape wraps. But it'll have to do for now. "Merle, you gotta come take it out, I'll keep 'er from thrashin too much." The older brother pushed passed the gawking strangers and up into the booth seats to cut and operate from her back. Trusting Merle to know what he was doing, Daryl fixed his attention on Asher, who was still awake but loosing the battle with unconsciousness. She tried her best to focus back on the man, her hooded eyes and dilated pupils making it nearly impossible.

"Merle's gonna get ya all fixed up, but I need you to stay awake and stay very still okay? This is gonna hurt a bit." She nodded and grit her teeth in preparation for the pain. Merle had already sliced a small opening for the arrow to slide out, and when she looked ready he reached over and swiftly broke the arrow in half before instantly pushing the arrowhead through the rest of her.

Everyone expected her to start wailing, but were mildly surprised that she simply squeaked and whimpered in response as well as snapping her hand out to grip Daryl's until her knuckles were white. He didn't mind, he only gently held hers back. The arrow was fully removed and the openings were stitched together with a few small bits of thread. Gauze and tape were wound around her abdomen tightly before Merle jumped out of the booth.

"How's she doin?" The younger brother quickly glanced up from the now sleeping girl.

"She's alright, sleeping right now but she'll be good to go in about a day." His lip lightly lifted at the idea of having to stay here for the night, but he had no choice. Turning back to the still gawking strangers, a devilish smirk curled his mouth.

"Looks like we'll be having a good old fashioned sleepover!"